Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-g019WM Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Product came with Windows 8.1 (not sure if 32 or 64 bit).  Am attempting recovery for a friend who is not technically capable.  Using HP Factory Recovery to do a full factory reset using the 5 DVD set created upon initial setup of the machine.  Have since upgraded to Windows 10, but that upgrade can be done again upon a full reset.  Am at the Factory Image Recovery Preparation page and have the Reformatting and Copying Files lines checked.  Progress goes to 12% with 18 minutes remaining and process freezes (multiple attempts and always freezes at 12%). After quite a long wait, an error message appears stating that the Destination Drive is not Connected.  Attempted to use an extrenal DVD drive as suggested in a tech forum, but this did not work as the system failed to read from the external drive. Is there a solution to this problem that does not require the disassembly of the machine to take the hard drive external as suggested in another tech forum?  Or is there a clean DVD image set that HP can provide that will not cause this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The machine originally shipped with Windows 8.1 64bit ( Home ).

If you wish to order a replacement set of Recovery Media for Windows 8.1, you can do so starting on the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-15-g000-notebook-pc-series/6545564/model/6761879/softwarei...

An alternative option, if you're intending to upgrade the notebook to Windows 10 again, would just be to perform a clean installation of 10 - as the machine has been previously upgraded to 10, a hardware profile ( Digital Entitlement ) will have been recorded by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The machine originally shipped with Windows 8.1 64bit ( Home ).

If you wish to order a replacement set of Recovery Media for Windows 8.1, you can do so starting on the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-15-g000-notebook-pc-series/6545564/model/6761879/softwarei...

An alternative option, if you're intending to upgrade the notebook to Windows 10 again, would just be to perform a clean installation of 10 - as the machine has been previously upgraded to 10, a hardware profile ( Digital Entitlement ) will have been recorded by the activation servers.

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Downloaded raw windows 10 as suggested and was ables to successfully rebuild system. Thanks for the help
HP Recommended

You're more than welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Ive brought a new hp 250 g5 with core i5 7200u 8gb1tb I had issue with setting it up so I carried out a factory reset and it's been 3hours and only on 41%. It's a brand new laptop why is it taking so long?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.