Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 2x
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I bought my wife a new laptop and my grandson set it up. We have subsequently tried to log on but it doesn't recognise the password as remembered. It says to reset the p/w but you can't do that without logging in to the system. Probably the best solution is to do a factory reset and start again. How do you do that please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your advices on this.

Having spent several hours on this I have decided to return the laptop to the retailer for a refund. 

I fugured that if I have any further problems of this nature I don't want to spend hours to get it sorted. I can't see why it has to be so complicated

Thanks again

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Wally559903

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

To factory reset your laptop, while it is booting, hold down the F11 key.

That will invoke the HP Recovery Manager, and using that, you can do a reset.

However, if you want to RETAIN what you have, there is another way -- to reset the password ...

Sorry, we're not allowed to tell you how to bypass the password ... but ... if you Google for Trinity Rescue Kit, you will be lead to a site where you can download an image file from which you can burn a CD. They might also have USB images -- don't know for sure.

If you get a lot of results, then go to the MajorGeeks site -- that is trustworthy.

Once you have this, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable CD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

Once you have made the boot media, boot your PC and use the option to BLANK the password.

After that, you should be able to login to the PC -- and then, set a new password.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I've tried the F11 solution but it just tahes you back to the start screen and when you press a key from there you're asked for the p/w again

HP Recommended

OK, then you need to reread my post and consider the second option -- using the utility to blank the password.

There is no other way around that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your advices on this.

Having spent several hours on this I have decided to return the laptop to the retailer for a refund. 

I fugured that if I have any further problems of this nature I don't want to spend hours to get it sorted. I can't see why it has to be so complicated

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.