Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Iv had this computer for awhile and just recently my friend told me to check the warranty, which I learned expired 2 days ago! I tried to restore but I do not have a disc anymore. I am getting more then angry I am about ready to smash my fist through the screen. I get errors all the time and it freezes ALL THE TIME. Media crashes and makes a horrible screaching and irritating noise. There HAS got to be a way to System Restore without a disc! Either a disc that can be put on a blank CD will work because I do NOT have it! 
Again the Product is a
HP G72-260US Notebook PC 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Is your recovery partition still intact? 

If so, start the PC and at the HP welcome screen, tap the F11 key to launch the recovery dialog.

Make sure you back up any files you want to keep before doing the above, as a factory system recovery will wipe the hard drive.

You can also try to order a set of recovery disks by contacting HP.

The online ordering link is dead which normally means they don't have them but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

If they don't have them you can get them from this 3rd party vendor.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/productdetails.aspx?ID=14285

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please remember that this is a User Forum and people here donate their free time just to help.

Regarding your issue, be aware that any of the following procedures will format your Hard Drive and so any personal data, programs etc will be erased by these processes.

First, shut down the notebook, tap away at f11 as soon as you press the power button to see if this will launch Recovery Manager - if it does, proceed with the on-screen instructions to reinstall the operating system - The process is described under the sub-heading 'Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key' on the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895783

There are Two options to try and reinstall Windows - the 2nd is the easiest, but you may want to try the 1st to see if it will save you having to order a replacement set of discs.

If this doesn't work, you have Two further options.

1.  If you can still boot in to Windows, hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click Disk Management in the left pane and when the partitions have loaded, right click the Recovery Partition and mark it as 'Active'.  Close all open windows and then restart - if this has worked, the notebook will boot from the Recovery Partition upon restart.

2.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.