01-19-2014 07:52 PM
I have a HP Pavilion dm4-2180us laptop with Windows 8.1. After buying my computer, I re-installed Windows many-many times, for various reasons. During all the re-installs I, obviously, lost the driver and software needed for the fingerprint reader. Now, I more or less settled down, and I want to start using the fingerprint reader again. I already downloaded and installed the driver, but when I installed HP SmartPass and try to set it up, I select the finger I want to enroll, but it immediately shows the "It looks like you have some trouble." message.
After a couple hours, I found that Windows 8.1 has the fingerprint software built-in. After going to Charms > Settings > Change PC Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Fingerprint > Add, I enter my Windows password, and as soon as I swipe my finger, it shows "An error occured processing your fingerprint."
What do I do?
01-24-2014 12:55 AM
Windows 8.1 completely revamped bits and parts of itself - there is now a built-in native fingerprint service that can be used ONLY for Windows logon. At writing, the native fingerprint service does not handle websites / passwords.
Your system came with Windows 8 (from what I can tell); updating it to Windows 8.1 probably caused the loss of the initial Validity Fingerprint driver used with third party fingerprint software -- like HP SimplePass.
Most people can get some part of the operation to work again - some can get everything working on Windows 8.1 -- it seems dependent on your system hardware and configuration.
There are two versions of HP SimplePass that you can run on Windows 8.1
Assuming you can get either one to work, it is a matter of choice.
- HP SimplePass Version 8.x works with Internet Explorer. Might work with others -- I have not yet made it do so.
- HP SimplePass Version 6.x (latest) works with IE, Firefox, Chrome, and ?
SimplePass Version 8.x does NOT get along with any previous version -- different code, different code writers, different database, different database format... This means you can run Version 8.x OR Version 6.x -- they cannot be on the computer at the same time.
I think you can use the following fingerprint Driver:
BASIC "rules for success": Order of events matters and do not skip the Restarts
- Remove existing software if changing versions
- Create Restore Point
- Install Driver First
- Restart computer
- Install Software Second
- Restart computer
- Enroll ...
- If using same version as previously AND if you have it, Import your webcard backup file
- One more Restart
Full instructions -- note that the bits on SimplePass 8.x are near the bottom of the guide:
Click the Kudos Star!
It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.
Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)