09-04-2012 09:21 AM
I recently had a Hard Drive failure on an HP G72 notebook. I ordered recovery disk from HP. The recovery disk arrived and I did a complete HP Recovery. I then went into Windows Update, clicked the "Get Updates" button and nothing happens. No Error nothing. I then download and tried to install SP2 and I get and error. I was able to download and install JAVA and Adobe updates. I was able to surf the net. I redownloaded all of the drivers and still no updates. I reformated the drive and ran the recovery again, still no updates. I searched through the internet for 3 days, ran the recovery 3 more times and still no update.
Finally, I found a blurb on the internet about going to Intels website and downloading a new driver and trying it. I was thinking to myself why would a driver stop Windows Update from running??? Being desperate I tried it and low and behold it solved my problem. The driver is the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver".
Please HP, put this driver on the Driver update page.
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)