Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Serial Number Not Found message at boot and windows will not activate after a factory reset of machine.

45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

Please identify your notebook with its complete product name and number.

Remove the battery and look in the compartment where the battery was installed. You should see a printed part number and a product name. Please post one or both of them (with all alphanumeric characters here)

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Serial Number[Personal Information Removed]

Product NB163UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Thanks.

What had you done that made a factory image recovery a necessity?

Had you done a BIOS update before this?

Had you experienced a malware/adware or virus issue?

Write down the Windows License key from the Microsoft Windows OEM sticker on the bottom of your notebook. Try the activation process again but this time select the I will activate by telephone. It takes a little time to do, but the result should be success.

I have made an internal HP contact regarding the serial number in BIOS issue and will get back to you on that.

Please answer each question that I asked you n you next post. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

windows would no longer start because of an invalid product ID even though it had be installed for several years.  Did a factory reinstall to attempt to fix.  Did not Fix

F1 System Information   Shows the following

InsydeH@) version: F.11

Serial Number:  (empty- nothing is shown)

UUID Number is 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Product Configuration ID:  00000000000000000

Factory installed OS:  non-vista

Came with Vista Home and that is what I reinstalled via restore manager.

HP Recommended

did not do a bios update.

Windows key on bottom of machine is worn and I'm unable to get the full ID

HP Recommended

I do not know how to resolve this without a serial number or Windows license key.  I will have to ask HP about this. Since this is the weekend please give it a few days, but don't give up. 

HP Recommended
Garymingee, please check your private messages
I am an HP employee

-Bryan
HP Recommended

Your an HP employee like I'm the President of the United States.  

HP Recommended
an odd reply. The icon next to my name signifies that I am an HP employee.
I am an HP employee

-Bryan
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.