Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@garymingee wrote:

Your an HP employee like I'm the President of the United States.  

He is indeed an HP employee.  I met him in San Francisco a couple of months ago at the HP Social Summit. He is a notebook wizard.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

May I ask how this was resolved.?  I'm having the same problem. Keep getting a message that

my windows 7 software is not geniune.  Also "No serial number printed on top left hand corner.. Product key

not readable on bottom of laptop

TIA

Ron

HP Recommended

hello HP, I'm working on a client's computer with this same problem. To the best of my knowledge, no service has been performed on this machine. The client attempted to perform a system recovery which failed. My attempts to do the same have also failed. The OS appears to install properly until nearly the last step at which point a message indicating an incomplete recovery has occurred.

The laptop boots with the Serial Number Not Found message. The BIOS displays all zeroes in the information section. I have a clear label with serial number, product number, windows 7 activation key. From my research, it appears that some recent HP utility has wiped the serial number. This particular product is about 6 months out of warranty, but I feel a repair should be forthcoming, at no charge, considering the purported source of the problem.

I've noted that a previous user has posted the serial number and other information to the forum. Is this recommended? Please advise.

thanks

fred

HP Recommended

serial number not found 

notebook is g61.420sl

HP Recommended

Hi:

Same problem here!
Two days ago the same validation error appeared and yesterday i noticed the no serial number in the up left  corner when starting.

I can see the serial number, product number, windows key etc,etc in the bottom of the laptop.

It's a HP G61 - 400SP

What can I do?

Thank you in advance!

HP Recommended

According to the phone support tech people, it's a mainboard failure and if it's not under warranty, repair is more than three hundred american dollars. Seems kind of peculiar that this type of failure is suddenly striking many computers, but HP won't cover it as a design/update/firmware failure, or provide a user-level solution. HP is off my recommended vendor list unless this gets resolved in short order.

HP Recommended

Is anyone able to confirm it is a problem with the mainboard

HP Recommended
I got that message on Booting
Serial Number Not found

my laptop is
Compaq Presario CQ61-360EV

Serial C NF94188NC
Product VJ375EA#ABV
Model CQ-360EV

waiting for ur help
HP Recommended

Hi, i have same problem. Can you please help me???

s/n[Personal Information Removed]

p/n VW504PA#ABG

thanks a lot in advance

HP Recommended

HP telephone tech support says the mainboard is the problem and cannot be repaired by the user. They wanted more than three hundred dollars for the replacement. The computer is now a doorstop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.