Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pav dv6t-1300, prod #VC034AV

Hi. My hard drive died last night and I have ordered a replacement. I tried to order recovery disks from the HP sites, but it said it doesn't service this model anymore. So I looked online, found a place with the disks, but was asked if the OS was windows 7 32 or 64 bit. 

I've spent almost the last hour looking for this info online and  on the little bit the computer I can still access. That info wasn't listed in BIOS or when I hit f2. I did find out that the memory capacity is 4096 mb ram, if that is relevant in any way.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you go to the User Guides section of the Product Support page for your system and click the  HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide you will see on page on page 1-2 that your system supports up to 8G of RAM memory. 32bit systems only support up to 4G of RAM so I think it's safe to say that you have a 64bit system.  :generic:

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The parts list for your notebook is of no help either...

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=VC034AV

You can go either way since you have 4 GB of memory.

If it were me, and I had to choose 32 or 64 bit (give the option of I could have either one), with 4 GB of memory, I would go with the 64 bit operating system.

FYI, the dv6-1300sb came with W7 64 bit, so I would definitely go that way...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-1300-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/3999443/mo...

HP Recommended

If you go to the User Guides section of the Product Support page for your system and click the  HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide you will see on page on page 1-2 that your system supports up to 8G of RAM memory. 32bit systems only support up to 4G of RAM so I think it's safe to say that you have a 64bit system.  :generic:

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply. I'll get a 64 bit recovery disk.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

You're welcome! Glad I could help.  :generic:

Microsoft Certified Professional
CompTIA A+ Certified Technician

My System: Self-Built Custom
Case: In Win 904 ATX
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero - Socket 1150
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock SR1 Topflow
RAM: 16G Corsair Vengeance 1866
GPU: Gigbyte GTX GeForce 660 OC
PSU: Corsair RM650 80 Plus Gold
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 1TB
HDD #1: Samsung 1TB
HDD#2: Hitachi 3TB
WiFi: Asus Dual Band AC1900 PCI-e
Monitor: 27" IPS Panel
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Vengeance - Cherry MX Mechanical Switches
Mouse: Cyborg RATT 9 Wireless Gaming Mouse
OD: LG BluRay Burner

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.