Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was running windows 7 ultimate and the option came up to update to Windows 10 for free, so I clicked on the link and it downloaded the initial setup and then it installed everything just fine.  I have to say it did take awhile for each down load and for the software to install.  The window did say I could use the computer while the install was happening, but I chose not to use it while the download and install was processing.  The only driver I had to get was for video, so I went to nvidia and downloaded the windows 10 drivers which also installed without an issue.  I don't know the total time it took to do the downloads and install but my guess is between 1 to 1-1/2 hours.  I was wathcing TV so I just kept an eye on it to make sure it was still processing.  I just did the update this week.  I did not disable anything, but I did use a direct connection to my router rather than use wireless connection, so not sure if that gave me better results.

HP Recommended

I am thinking of selling the laptop, it has 500GB disk drive, 8GB ram, 2.5 GHz cpus, Windows 10 and Office 2016, not sure what I should ask for it any ideas on price?

HP Recommended

Success! I got Windows 10 installed on my HDX18 and so far (10 minutes) it appears to be working fine. I doubt that anything I did made a difference, but here's what I did:

1. Made sure that I had all the Windows 7 updates installed (not including HDX18-specific device drivers which I have avoided for the last 3-4 years).

2. Turned off the wifi and used a hardwired ethernet connection.

3. Unplugged my external, usb webcam.

It took about 2-3 hours. 

The version/build for Windows 10 is 1511/10586.0

HP Recommended

Hey, thank you very much guys for your precious infos!!

I will try again in the next weeks.

This time i will  plug the internet wire into the computer too. It is not the first that i read it can make a difference.

What do you think of Win 10 on the HDX? Does it run better?

Thanks for the build info too!

HP Recommended

I had windows 10 on the HDX18 since I posted and I did not find it to be faster.  I found windows IE to be jittery and I do not like the new windows edge overlay on top of IE.   I found my laptop sometimes not coming out of sleep or hybrination and would have to power cycle it.  I went back to windows 7 Ultimate, which I find to be the fastest and most reliable OS for my HP HDX18 and everything works great and system is very responsive and boots up faster than any of the other windows OS including windows 10.

HP Recommended

Got WIN10 Enterprise x64 working just fine on my HDX18 - 400GB-SSD + 1TB-SSHD.

I'm still trying to get the HDX-Specials to work like the TV + Fingerprint-Reader.

Has anyone got all Features running in WIN10x64?

(See Device Manager!)

HP Recommended

Everything appears to be working fine on my HDX18 (Win10 X64). I have not been using it a lot (it isn't my everyday computer), but the Device Manager isn't flagging any problems and I haven't bumped into any functional issues, yet.

HP Recommended

Note: I do not use the fingerprint reader or the TV. 

HP Recommended

use these from HP they should give you the drivers, I just don't recall which one is for which device manager item, but once installed all should work  sp40663, sp41614, sp45045 and sp48408

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.