Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 F211 WM Notebook LOTUA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My daughter's HP 15F211 notebook was accidentally dropped. The problem that followed was when pressing power button, a message occurred that the computer was repairing and it would take some time to do so. I let the computer run for more than 24 hours without getting any further results. I then rebooted and entered the bios and Recovery Media. During the diagnostics, the message was that the hard drive was locked and to unlock it and rerun the recovery media. I then removed the hard drive from the notebook, and place it into a external hard drive case and then plug it into another computer running Windows 10 64 bit, the drive shows up in Disk Management as healthy and also Raw. When attempting to access the disc, the message was.
The volume does not contain a recognizable file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that's the volume is not corrupted.
Now I will be 90 years old in July and I have not worked on computers for a while. I am convinced that the hard drive should be replaced. The computer is two months out of warranty and I didn't think about making a recovery disk when she bought it.
I would like to hear from the community about my problem. I suppose that I can purchase a HP recovery media. I also suppose that the Microsoft identity is built into the motherboard.
Thank you very much will be looking forward to hearing from all of you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds like the hard drive is damaged and will need to be replaced.  A retail 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

You should be able to order Recovery Media from the support page-last item in the list of drivers/software.HP site is having problems for me right now so if you can't get the list to come up try again later.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-f200-notebook-pc-touch/7630399/model/8788164?#...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You are correct. Simply replace the hard drive. Windows 10 once installed and activated can always and forever be reinstalled and reactivated on the same computer. We can get you necessary drivers and some original apps. Go to the Microsoft Media Creation Tool app and download Windows 10 of the same version (Pro or Home) and choose to make a recovery disk (DVD or thumb drive) for installation on another computer. 

Post back if you need any more help. 

HP Recommended

Sounds like the hard drive is damaged and will need to be replaced.  A retail 2.5" laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

You should be able to order Recovery Media from the support page-last item in the list of drivers/software.HP site is having problems for me right now so if you can't get the list to come up try again later.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-f200-notebook-pc-touch/7630399/model/8788164?#...

HP Recommended

First of all please allow me to say that I cannot forget how nice the people on this forum are. You are always polite and show great great concern for others. You certainly are to be commended and appreciated.
I thank you very much for the actions you have provided for my problems. I have placed an order for a 500 GB hard drive that is identical to the original. I have also downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and also the ISO file Windows 10 64 bit. That procedure worked out fine back when correcting the failure of the free upgrades.

HP Recommended

First of all, I I want to thank the good people of this forum for helping me solve my problem. Everything is up and running as it should be. I downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool on a working computer and first I made a big mistake by downloading the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit instead of the Windows 10 home 64 bit. It was a good lesson that I learned, because the Windows 10 Pro would not activate. I didn't make sure that I was downloading the correct copy which was the Windows 10 home. I must also add I downloaded that edition directly to a flash drive that had been prepared the Windows media creation tool. It format the flash drive and makes it bootable.
When starting the installation on the needed computer, I had to enter Bio's Setup Esc/F11 and use all steps for a new installation. When the installation was complete it was also activated.

PS I might also add that when replacing the hard drive, you will going to have to open at least 3 Ziv connections. My advice to you is to be very very careful when doing so. It is my opinion that they break much too easy.

HP Recommended

Very happy to hear of your success. Thank you for taking time to return and update us and for the kind words. We try to be helpful whenever we can and posts such as your's encourage us to keep up the effort.

HP Recommended

You can go to the upper right hand corner of your post you marked as the Solution, do the "not the solution", and then award the Solution to one of @CherylG  posts as a nice gesture of appreciation if you wish. But I just want to say I am also happy it all worked out. Come back if you need any more help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.