Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Frederich,

Rats.  I wish I could tell you it would work if you upgraded to Pro, but at this point, it appears the whole setup is working for some people and not for others.   I do not yet know what that is the case.

Will think on it some more...

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

hi every body

it does not work for me either, another thing why hp doesn't upload drivers for windows 8 for siome products elitbook2530P for example

am pretty sure it has been worked for me  for a while and i was so happy to have the fingerprint on my machine under W8.1 OS

best regards

HP Recommended

Kudos,

This solved my issue on Win8.1 Pro

HP Recommended

AJ,

Thanks for the feed back and for the Kudos!

I might have expected that Windows 8.1 would have builtin preset code to compensate for the lack of Group Policy settings available in 8.1 Pro; it does appear this is not the case.  Interesting.

Can you verify your Driver (Validity) and Software (SimplePass) versions for us, please?

Click the Kudos Star!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me out. I have an HP Pavilion DV7-4190US and I'm beginning to have a feeling that the problem in my case lies most with HP Simple Pass (but, what do I know). I've tried a bunch of different drivers and HP Simple Pass versions, and the only one that enables my fingerprint reader (sensor light goes on, able to register prints, but only able to sign into local accounts, not into Microsoft accounts or web browsers) is this one: HP SimplePass by Digital Persona (btw, this one looks nothing like the other HP Simple Pass's I've tried. It has a different look. http://tinypic.com/r/2nrg8bc/5 ). It's the one that originally came with my laptop. The thing is, no matter what drivers I use, Windows 8, nor Internet Explorer 11 will acknowledge that I have a fingerprint reader (it's not in the control panel, there's no fingerprint option in the sign in options; and although the fingerprint icon with the plus sign comes up in Internet Explorer, it does not react to fingerprint swipes and I cannot add log ons).

I read somewhere that this version: fingerprint sensor software suite 4.03.034.000 worked for someone, but I can't find it anywhere.

HP Recommended

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-122818-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I think I've had a breakthrough. Since we're both struggling to find answers on Microsoft and HP forums, I wanted to link this to you. A month ago, this blog was my only hope, but the first two links were dead. I had no idea that he had replied to one of my messages and reposted the second link (which has the driver I need. He said he would contact Validity to get the first link working again..But that was a month ago). If that link has the driver that you need too (I hope), download it and follow the directions starting from #3. After doing this, the fingerprint reader option showed up in the sign in options, without my having to restart (I followed exactly, but had to do the manual update, as is explained, and once it finished, I immediately checked sign in options in pc settings and the option appeared. I'm installing this HP SimplePass http://stanley.thepharmacopedia.com/2012/12/07/validity-fingerprint-sensor-driver-windows-8-windows-... (the one he linked is dead, but I know it's still on the HP site, but since the one I found is newer, I'm going to see if it'll work too). Crazy how an older version brought up an option that the newer ones didn't. I don't get it, but I'm not complaining. 😕

I'll let you know if it worked for me, but with the appearance of the fingerprint option now, I'm feeling very confident...Hope it won't be shattered. 😐

Btw, if it works for you, keep that download forever before it disappears again. 0_0 Couldn't find it for the life of me, but come to find out, it was on the HP website all along ........ $%^&*($&(#$*#)@&*#&$#.

HP Recommended

It worked! #$%^%$##$%^^&**^&^%$$##!!!

I'm good. 😐

Hope it works for the rest ofyou. Props to Stanley Soman from stanley.thepharmacopedia.com, a life saver. :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Hi Melissa,

Your computer was built to use the Digital Persona software and not the versions of what is now known as HP SimplePass software.

Digital Persona and HP SimplePass are not the same program, that is, the code inside the programs is different.

Through the years, HP tends to use the same naming convention for the different programs.  In this Expert's opinion, this choice has caused confusion for many users.  Ah, well.

The "Digital Persona by HP SimplePass" program predates what is now simply called HP SimplePass.

Somewhere in the mix is an odd version of HP SimplePass by Egistec -- I have owned a number of notebooks, none of which I could ever get to work with this version (7.x).  The program may have come to us from Europe, although my memory is a bit unclear on this.  I have not seen that version around for a while (years).

Consumer Notebooks of a certain vintage (early 2011 and older) can run the Digital Persona software - the later consumer model notebooks (circa late 2011 to present) run HP SimplePass Version 6.0.x (at this writing) on Windows 7 and Windows 8.    HP SimplePass and Windows 8.1 is apparently still being sorted as the number of posts on the forum will attest.

Edits:  Removed comments regarding using DP software.

Thanks for posting the update!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for all the HP Experts who are here to help!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Ah, thanks so much for explaining that. I was like what the hell, why isn't this working for me, but thank lawd for that specific driver version. Although the Digital Persona version responded when installed in compatibility mode with the original Validity driver that came with my laptop, once I installed a different driver, I was able to instead use the current HP SimplePass software that would not respond before. Turns out, the issue was really with the driver version because once I installed that specific one from the blog in my post above, HP SimplePass worked perfectly.

I don't think I tried Digital Persona with this different driver, but since the HP SimplePass that was released last month is obviously superior, it doesn't matter anymore. I guess for those who follow that blog post exactly and still  can't get that driver to work with HP SimplePass, I guess they have nothing to lose to see if maybe Digital Persona (for those who had it originally like me), to try it out.

HP Recommended

Melissa,

You are welcome -- lots of people get confused about this.

Commentary  -- For those interested in such things:
I spent a little time tracking down some details -- the Pharmacopedia site does a good job of listing the various fingerprint hardware.  This all used to be available at the AuthenTec site before Apple grabbed them.

The device manager shows the following Device Hardware ID for this and a few other Driver files (for Win7/8):

USB\VID_138A&PID_0018="Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=0018)"

Reference:  Open the SkyDrive -- look for and open the file titled:

Driver Hardware Ids of Biometric Device

Because the Device ID matches and the Device ID is one that HP Simplepass can work with, you are golden.  In most cases, once the Driver Device ID matches the driver, there is no need to update to a driver specifically written for Windows 8.

Dragon Tip

If you have issues with the fingerprint device switching off after the computer sleeps,

you might consider the following setting:

in Device Manager > Biometrics > Right Click the Device (Validity Sensor) > Properties > Power Management

UNCHECK “Allow computer to turn off this device…”

=======================================================================================

Happy Computing!

Click the Kudos Star!

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.