Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I installed the Validity software from http://www.validityinc.com/software/hp/wbf.php on Windows 7. I had to clear and re-enrol my fingers but it works fine. YAY

Hope this helps someone

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and I solved it today 🙂

Just go to http://www.validityinc.com/software/hp/wbf.php

download the driver, you will see WBF next to driver name, reboot..

check sign-in options again and you will see finger print option available ..

I hope the above works..

cheers.. 

HP Recommended

my sensor is authentc is that make difference

and i cant see any website for authentc

please help

i have elitebook2530p

regards

HP Recommended

Frederich,

For HP ENVY 17-j070ca Notebook:

sp63418 Validity Fingerprint Sensor V4.5.228.0 Win 8.1

Make sure you have your latest Windows Update installed -- apparently there has been a delay for some folks in getting all the windows updates needed to handle the native windows fingerprint logon.

After you update / install the Driver,

Shut down the system using the following to make sure you boot with a clean kernel.

Complete Shutdown (no hibernate)

1. Close all programs
  2. Open a Command Prompt window and type the following command:

Shutdown /s /t 0

3.  Boot the system and log in

==========================================================================================

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great way to say “Thank You”!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Driver installed, system shutted down using your command line, then booted up.

In Device Manager: latest driver is installed, no problem. Fingerprint reader is recognized like always.

Control Panel: i do not see any "Biometrics Device"

Sign-in options: Fingerprint is disabled.

I'm tired of this problem! lol

HP Recommended

Frederich,

I am beginning to hate your computer from long distance.  Smiling.

• I assume you are saying that you cannot find the BIOMETRICs in the Device Manager.

Windows key + X > M (opens the Device Manager)

The Device Manager can only manage those hardware devices it can "see".

SideBar:

Make sure you keep your Restore Points updated so you can always back out of whatever you do.

==========================================================================================

I am losing track  -- have you looked at the BIOS?

Option 1

Enable biometric support

Some types of BIOS allow you to enable or disable individual hardware components. The biometric device is the hardware that controls the fingerprint reader. Depending on the model number of your computer, there are options in the BIOS to turn the biometric device on and off.
To check your BIOS for biometric support and enable it:
  1. Press the Power button to start the computer, and press the F10 key to open the BIOS setup utility.
  2. Under System Configuration , look for a Biometric Device option; if it exists, enable it.
  3. Press F10 to save this setting and restart the computer.
If a biometric option does not exist in your BIOS, then the fingerprint reader is always enabled. Next, see if Windows supports the fingerprint reader.

===========================================================================================

Option 2

If the BIOS is not able to adjust the biometric option, then there might be something else in the BIOS that is "not set standard".  Yes, now we are stretching for straws.

1. Perform the Hard Reset   Complete the "no hibernate" shutdown
  2. As soon as you power on the notebook, repeatedly click the ESC key to bring up the Startup Menu
  3. Select F10 to launch the BIOS menu
  4. Depending on your BIOS, you will click F5 or F9 to load the default settings – then use the arrow keys to Select “Yes” and then click “Enter”
  5. Press F10 to save the Settings – then use the arrow keys to Select “Yes” and click “Enter”

Something is still missing.  You do have an "odd ball" fingerprint device, but it there is a Windows 8.1 driver for it so it makes sense that it should work.  Drivers are certified by testing them against the particluar OS. 

========================================================================================

I am wondering if Windows 8.1 would put up with you using the "Native" logon driver.  This driver is not listed as supported on your computer -- but your own driver does not seem to be supported, so there is room for "flying fishes" at this point.

Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 WBF Software for Validity Sensors

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great way to say “Thank You” for the help.

This document pertains to HP notebook computers with Windows 8.
NOTE: If you are not using the latest version of Windows 8, some graphics and information in this document may vary. You can get the latest version from the Microsoft Store.
The components of the fingerprint-based security system are designed to work on specific computer models and with specific operating systems. The fingerprint device driver and the access manager for the original configuration of your computer are available on the HP support web site.
WARNING:The drivers and programs available for one model are not compatible and do not work with other models.
If you choose to change the operating system, the default fingerprint reader drivers and programs provided by HP for your computer model might not be compatible, and the fingerprint reader will not work as a result. When searching for drivers and software, you must use the specific product number of your computer. See How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for more information.
Update the BIOS
If your notebook has a fingerprint reader, then it uses a version of BIOS with biometric support. This allows other hardware and software to support the fingerprint reader. For best performance, check hp.com for BIOS updates for your specific model.
To check your current BIOS version:
  1. Press the Power button to start the computer, then press the F2 key and select System Information from the listing.
    The BIOS version is displayed.
  2. Note the current BIOS version.
To look for BIOS updates:
  1. Open a web browser and go to hp.com .
  2. Select Support & Drivers , and enter your product number .
  3. Select the operating system currently on the computer, scroll down, and then expand BIOS .
    The latest BIOS version download is listed.
  4. If the BIOS available on the web site is a later version, download and install it. See Updating the BIOS for instructions.
If the BIOS is up-to-date, see if biometric support is enabled.

Enable biometric support

Some types of BIOS allow you to enable or disable individual hardware components. The biometric device is the hardware that controls the fingerprint reader. Depending on the model number of your computer, there are options in the BIOS to turn the biometric device on and off.
To check your BIOS for biometric support and enable it:
  1. Press the Power button to start the computer, and press the F10 key to open the BIOS setup utility.
  2. Under System Configuration , look for a Biometric Device option; if it exists, enable it.
  3. Press F10 to save this setting and restart the computer.
If a biometric option does not exist in your BIOS, then the fingerprint reader is always enabled. Next, see if Windows supports the fingerprint reader.
Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
https://db.tt/M1RWGe22

I can see BIOMETRICS DEVICE in the Device Manager

I just can't see it on the Control Panel, like this:
http://www.itechtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=2566

Once I am able to show this option I may be able to make it work!

There's nothing in the BIOS of this computer. Nothing we can change, except boot sequence.
HP Recommended
Frederich.. Try this driver and let me know if it works for you ... Also.. Please confirm if you see in your device manager the word WBF next to validity fingerprint after you install the driver in this link...
http://www.validityinc.com/software/hp/wbf.php
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Frederich,

Well, that Windows driver for the fingeprinter was not for your system, so the FMA driver is no loss.  The driver is for business model notebooks (at least as my last check).

OK..  I can see what you mean about the Biometric setting in the Control Panel.  Will look around.

• Can you get to this setting from the Start Screen?

Start Screen > type anywhere "biometric" > Settings > look for "Change Biometric settings"

There is another "setting" on that list, too.  If you have this, it may be a "doorway" in.

"Use your fingerprint with windows"

========================================================================================

Stubborn machine.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.