Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Farid,

When the SkyDrive opens, look for and open the Guide titled:

Simple Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Scroll down to the last bit in the guide for the link and a few instructions.

The 8.x version, since first writing, has been updated to 8.0.0.57 (probably a bug fix).

Know that the new version does work on Windows 8.1, at least it proved itself on one colleague's system;  when I tried to install it on one of my Windows 8 notebooks, the installation succeed -- and then I could not get the webcards to actually respond after they were created.  Problem with my Eikon Mini fingerprinter?  Unknown, although the driver has been absolutely solid with all other versions of Simplepass.

I think it would have worked had I poked at it a bit more.

I am awaiting a system from HP that will have a built in fingerprinter and Windows 8.1 -- I will test again at that time.

Good Luck!  Let us know your results.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

This dicussion really help.

My notebook is 8460p and after upgraded to windows 8.1 in Aug 2013, I found lots of features can't work.

Yesterday I tried again to upgrade to windows 8.1 and found most solution.

With 8460p, the wbf driver can't work, you can only found In computer setting -> user account-> blablabla display the finger print option but you can't register any finger print becuase the hardware didn't response anything.

But if you use the latest fingerprint driver provied by hp(version 4.5.x) and the latest client security manager 8.1, it works.

HP Recommended

Helo There,

I'm digging the forums since a week to find out what has happened to the fingerprint reader. So now i gave up, please help. 

I tried the following things:

1. Windows settnig up the Driver, Simple pass from HP site  --> Nor Win, Nor Simple pass finds the option to log in with FP

2. HP Support assistant set up the driver, Simple pass from HP site --> same

3. Manually download the driver from HP site, Simple pass from HP site --> same

4. Manually download the driver from Validity website, no simple pass --> Windows finds the option to sign in, but doesn't do anything, when I'm scanning the finger.

5. Manually download the driver from Validity website, using the simple pass you mentioned here --> windows and SP finds that i have FP reader, but doesn't recognise that I'm scanning my finger

6. Installed back win 8.0 driver, no Simplepass--> Windows gives the option to log in with fingerprint, but the "add" button is gray

6. Installed back win 8.0 driver, previous simple pass --> no option to sign in

I figured, that i have to reboot after each mouse scroll what I do, so now i'm glad this cr**** has SSD...

Is there any combo I haven't try?

Ohh yes and let me add two more: it worked under W8, and having almost the same problem in W7 (I'm using dual boot)....

KunZheng, could you please link those things what made it work for you? It would be much appriciated! 

Thanks,

HP Recommended

fingerprint option is added and enabled but...

I cannot add a fingerprint to my account.
What should i do?

HP Recommended

Hey Guys!

Today my Windows asked to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

After I upgrade, I reinstalled the drivers from the HP website, and then it all magically worked.

I think it was a bug with Windows 8 with that specific fingerprint device, and it's fixed in 8.1.

Thanks all for your help!

HP Recommended

Good News!

I do not understand why your particular system had an issue with SimplePass while running Windows 8; it may well have been something to do with your hardware or perhaps with the File System libraries. 

I do think you will be happier running Windows 8.1 regardless of the SimplePass issue.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi  Dragon ,

I just registered on HpP community , to thank you that you provide me the solution regards the fingerprint and win 8.1

it was when you mentiond  to enable it from Run, gpedit.msc ,.... then enabling the biometrics

it works for me after searching  websites for 2 days ,

really thank you bro :))

HP Recommended

7essin,

Excellent!

I am glad it is working for you!

Remember to keep your Webcards Exported !  :generic:

Simple Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Happy Computing!

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show appreciation and say Thanks.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround to your Question!

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon ,

I installed another copy of the same windows 8.1 ,

And the finger print sensor didn't work , even i had follow the steps i did before . ( i enabled it at gpedit.msc) 

But it is not recognized as before at the device manager , now there is no  id brackets for the sensor beside Biometric .

also there is no option for finger print sign in at account sign in ,,

But I have installed HP client security  and it worked through this software successfully .

Also when i installed Validity sensor s/w  from this link  http://www.validityinc.com/software/hp/wbf.php

, the biometric label at device manager , has been changed and an ID has appeard between bracket as before . 
furthur the finger print sign in option also appeard at windows log in account . 
but when i tried to take the finger print it didnot work (didn't even detect my finger on the sensor)

So the conclosion , the finger print is working only on HP client security software (when i remove the validity sensor  that i have downloaded from the above link ), and when i setup this software , it recognized at windows and simple pass but not works .

SO do you have an idea abouth why this happens ? .

I want to run it as before !!

HP Recommended

7essin,

The type of security software you run depends on the type of computer hardware you have.

Consumer notebooks run some version of the HP SimplePass security software.

Business notebooks, for example the Probook series, run the Client Security / ProtectTools security software.

The two program types are not compatible on a given notebook type.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show appreciation and say Thanks.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround to your Question!

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.