Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 ab062nl
Linux

I've a problem with the keyboard of notebook HP Pavilion 15 ab062nl.
the problem is with SHIFT ALT and CTRL buttons of the keyboard.

for example when i use ALT-TAB shortcut, after few seconds, the ALT-TAB menu disappear as if i release ALT key, but isn't so.
another example is when i navigate on web, when i scroll page with mouse wheel, sometimes the page start to resize, as if i'm pressing CTRL command while scroll, or if i'm writing a text, sometimes, borwser launch shortcut, as if i'm pressing CTRL while i type text, for exaple if i'm typing "b" letter, opens bookmarks...

another example is while i'm typing text, if i press SHIFT key and start typing, begins to write uppercase letters and after a while, writes lowercase like I released shift, but i'm still pressing shift.

for example if i press SHIFT+s, the result is this:
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
some letters are uppercase, but others are lowercase.

i haven't found a solution.
the only way to solve momentarily the problem, is pressing for some seconds the only SHIFT key, after that, the problems disappears indefinitely, or until the next restart.

This problem occurs with all ubuntu version (x86 and x86_64), now i'm using Ubuntu 15.10, but i've also tried ubuntu 15.04, ubuntu 14.04, ubuntu 12.04, ubuntu 10.04.

furthermore i've this problem also with other GNU/Linux Distributions (i've tried Fedora, OpenSuse, ArchLinux, Antergos, Debian, SteamOS).
but isn't and hardware problem, because on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 i haven't these problems.

i've also tried to plug in an externa USB keyboard, and if i use external USB keybaord i haven't problems.

i think is a problem of compatibility, with integrated keyboard of this notebook.

i've tried to monitor these problems using XEV, and the results is that also if i'm not using notebook, sometimes XEV reads an INPUT of one of these 3 key (SHIFT, ALT, CTRL), and while i'm pressing one of these 3 key, XEV see also if i release and immedialty after press again the key.

this is an example of the input while i press Left_ALT key for a while

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3e00001,
    root 0x498, subw 0x0, time 129987, (-142,152), root:(452,476),
    state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3e00001,
    root 0x498, subw 0x0, time 130147, (-142,152), root:(452,476),
    state 0x18, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,

KeyPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x3e00001,
    root 0x498, subw 0x0, time 130391, (-142,152), root:(452,476),
    state 0x10, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

whole log here http://pastebin.com/CPGz40aw

and this is the output of xev, leaving the notebook on a few hours without using it http://pastebin.com/sYSHAbGy

Thanks for help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i've almost solved the problem

add these line to the file /etc/default/grub

i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset i8042.direct

to the

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

voice

for example this is my config

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset i8042.direct"

update grub and restart

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi!

I got the same notebook and I got exactly the same problem, with the exact symptoms you described. I also tried the xev utility to monitor the keys and got the same events!

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and still I got no clue about the problem. Tried also Ubuntu 15.10 Live with a newer kernel, but the issue is still present.

I noticed also that if I run Ubuntu in pure shell mode, without running the X Server, the problem still persists, so it is something related to the kernel/keyboard driver and not to the X server.

HP Recommended

thanks for the answer.

so this isn't an hardware problem, but a diver support problem

i've opened a launchpad request time ago

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1532746

if you want you can write also here to confirm that isn't an hardware problem.

i've also reported the problem, to linux-input developer as you can see on launchpad.

i hope that this problem can be solved (by community or by HP)

HP Recommended

i've almost solved the problem

add these line to the file /etc/default/grub

i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset i8042.direct

to the

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

voice

for example this is my config

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset i8042.direct"

update grub and restart

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.