Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I purchased this laptop in December with Windows 10 installed. A few weeks ago I started getting a notification in Support Assistant to update the system BIOS.  No matter how many times I run the update the notification persists and the Action Log has never recorded this update as having taken place.

After checking with this Forum, it appears that other users have had issues with BIOS updates, and HP Support cautions against updating the System BIOS unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

1. Since I am not having any issues which would compell such an update, should I simply dismiss the notification?

2. If such an update is not advised, why does Support Assistant display its notification?

3. Would dismissing the notification render this Notebook suseptible to security vulnerabilities?

4. The instructions on the HP website for updating theSystem BIOS are considerably more complicated than the procedure launched from Support Assistant. What exactly is this?  The update in Support Assistant is Softpac number SP76353, Version F.19Ap1, Size 8.89MB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @LAB7,

Thank you for posting at HP Forums!

I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that you have some questions about updating the BIOS. I agreed that if there is no problem with current system running, it is not necessary to update the BIOS. However, HP support assistant will populate the notification once there is a newer version of the BIOS. You can dismiss the message and it will not cause security problems.

There is another way to update the BIOS, by downloading it from HP support page. You can put your product number here on this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers. Select the right OS on the page, it will show the most updated drivers of your model including the BIOS.

Hope these could help. Let me know if you need further assistance.

If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @LAB7,

Thank you for posting at HP Forums!

I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that you have some questions about updating the BIOS. I agreed that if there is no problem with current system running, it is not necessary to update the BIOS. However, HP support assistant will populate the notification once there is a newer version of the BIOS. You can dismiss the message and it will not cause security problems.

There is another way to update the BIOS, by downloading it from HP support page. You can put your product number here on this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers. Select the right OS on the page, it will show the most updated drivers of your model including the BIOS.

Hope these could help. Let me know if you need further assistance.

If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks, and this should help other users with the same concern.

I tried to click the Kudos button but it didn't take, but want you to know that I appreciate you taking this load off my mind.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.