Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

OK, on boot up, select F10 and enter the setup utility

In BIOS turn off 'Secure Boot' (disable)

If there is an option to enable 'Legacy Boot' turn this on (enable)

Save and exit

Switch off laptop and insert Windows 10 USB stick made with Media Creator

(incidentally, I believe that when you create the Windows 10 USB install stick using the Microsoft Media Creator tool you have to select 32 bit Windows)

Switch on and press F9 for the boot options menu

Is there an option to boot from the USB?

If so, good - boot from this and you should be able to delete all existing partions on the 32Gb SSD and install Windows 10 from scratch.

If you do not see an option to boot from USB we need to go to plan B...

HP Recommended

- previously disabled "Secure boot"

A couple of gotchas:

- there is no "legacy boot option" .  I found on other forums that it looked like by toggling secure boot to "disabled", the option for legacy boot would come up, but it has not

- this computer came with 64-bit, so when creating the media, I selected that option (64-bit)

This did not work.

- WRT this log, there is an option to boot from USB at boot options menu, but this did not work

On several forums, it was recommeneded to use the Rufus tool to create an ISO file.  I downloaded Rufus 2.14 to do this and installed the file on the USB key.  

This did not work.

Would you agree that problem appears to be booting from USB key?  Thoughts and rationale:

- USB stick is no good (brand new, as above)

- USB port is no good (worked fine with mouse)

- Windows installation is no good (this may be.  I am confused WRT what specifically needs to go on it.  Output from Media Creator or Rufus?  32-bit or 64-bit?)

- BIOS is no good (appears to work fine, but no option for legacy boot and documentation as to why is poor)

Anything you can think of that might be the weak link?

HP Recommended

One of the problems is that, when I reinstalled Windows 10 and posted here, I ended up answering my own questions so I did not make a complete note od what I did!

However, your last posts have jogged my memory a little and I also went back to my desktop to find the ISO that I downloaded which is indeed 64bit.

I think that I had read somewhere that as the processor does not have the ability to support more than 2Gb I would be better off installing 32bit windows.

So, I believe that when I reinstalled Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion x2 10-n100ns: -

Disabled secure boot

Downloaded Windows 10 to ISO

Downloaded Rufus portable

Selected option in Rufus for 'MBR for BIOS or UEFI'

Created bootable stick using Rufus and the download Win 10 ISO

Insert the USB stick in to the USB 3.0 port not the type C port.

Boot using F9 to select the boot device.

Delete all partitions and install Windows 10

Incidentally, when you booted to F9 did you get an option to select your USB device?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.