Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion G190NB
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I created successfully a recovery USB for the HP Pavilion G190NB.

I installed another operating system.
And now I want revert back to Windows 10 with the Recovery USB.

I did a diskpart, select disk 0 clean.

After that I do Factory Reset (only option) and the Recovery Manager fails at partitioning disk with error 0xEFFFFF23.

This is a computer produced 1,5 month ago says HP.

How can I restore my system to original state from the USB?

Can I do manually steps from the command prompt? I tried but there are a bunch of files, I tried with the cNB ones and the FR files and F11 files in sources, HP, cNB folder.

I escalated this issue to HP and they says it is under warranty. The shop says it costs 125 Euros because software problem and out of warranty.

It's warranty because I have a recovery usb, that doesnt work.

Kind regards,

Matthias

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello,

I cannot contribute a solution, but I experienced the same error code 0xEFFFFF23 in the recovery manager and would also like to know how to resolve this.

Here's what we did:

We have a brand new Spectre x360 (model 13-4102ng).

We created a USB Recovery Medium using the HP Recovery Media tool and it completed successfully.

To test out this USB stick, we tried to boot from it. For that, we changed the boot order in BIOS to be USB first.

It booted from USB and the recovery manager prompted us to boot from the recovery partition instead. We insisted on the USB drive.

Choosing the complete system restore option that should recreate all partitions from its descriptions and confirming a few times, we immediately get the error 0xEFFFFF23 during the first step of the actual process. (I think it's the partitioning as stated above, but could not read it quickly enough.)

The recovery manager then only gives us the option to exit. After a reboot without the USB drive, our Windows installation seems completely unaltered.

So, what is this error 0xEFFFFF23? What can we do to make the USB recovery work? (The purpose of all this was to remove the recovery partition, but first we wanted to make sure that the USB recovery actually worked ...)

Thanks

Daniel

PS: The short computer test from the recovery manager completed without errors.

HP Recommended

Hi,

After trying some days I have succesfully restored from the USB drive on a clean hard disk !

The method to do is not easy...

You need the USB HP Recovery and an external USB device with the contents of the HP Recovery USB drive.

Also you need to modify cNB.ini and edit UCRM_FR_Restore.cmd.

You need to execute UCRM_FR_PreparePartition.cmd without the external drive with the copy attached. Otherwise the contents of it are removed...

This method is not officialy supported by HP. But it works.

If you need to create another correct USB device with the Windows method, you can't, you can only create one recovery medium.

Kind regards,

Matthias

HP Recommended

Hello,

that's good news and your comment about the scripts has given me a bit better understanding, what's going on behind the GUI.

It looks like all these CMD-scripts are very verbose, always printing where in the process they are. However, I cannot find any logs after the error has happened (and recovery manager reboots immediately, too, once I click OK). Do you have any suggestion how to get to the logs?

Also, could you find out what causes this error EFFFFF23? I did not find the error code directly referenced in the scripts.

Thanks!

Daniel

HP Recommended

You can contact HP and refer to this thread in the forum. HP has been known to provide factory created recovery flashdrives for issues of this kind, although I cannot guarantee it.

From your description of the issue there is a problem with the usb recovery flashdrive created by the HP Recovery media creator utility.

You can prep the hard drive on you own by using a bootable partition manager like GParted. Once that is done you should be able to use the recovery flash drive you created to perform a factory image recovery.

How to make a bootable usb GParted flashdrive

http://gparted.org/liveusb.php

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I don't think it's a faulty USB stick. And in my case, the partitions are as they came from the factory, so it can't be a strangely/badly formatted/partitioned drive either.

Anyway, Clonezilla gives me what I want: a way to backup my new laptop and recover it at some point in the future.

Best Regards

Daniel

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue when trying to perform a recovery  from an non-faulty USB stick (prepared with the HP recovery Manager).

When reaching the screen listing the tasks to be performed a message appears with the 0xeFFFFF23 error code, and no other option but to exit (then the machine reboots).

So what is this error code ?

Is there seriously no one who can provide more information ? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a brand new HP Spectre x360. Model : 13-4125nf.

HP Recommended

Ok I found a very simple solution.

My intuition was that the partitioning step (first step) was failing because I had changed the partitions on the SSD, and maybe as well because it would see another disk (the USB stick).

So when you reach the screen before the actual partitioning start, and before pressiong "NEXT", just unplug the USB Stick.

Since all files have been loaded into memory it should work.

AND it does !

The partitioning task starts and run without any issues. Obviously, the next step (copying files on the hard drive) fails, since the USB stick is not plugged anymore.

You just need to restart the process, but this time, it will work.

Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.