Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Tried your suggestions but unfortunately no success.  Keep getting the same error when trying to uninstally. Incidentally I contacted HP support but they won't help unless I pay as my coumputer is out of warrenty. It's outrageous that they want customers to pay to fix  a problem their software update created. 

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

BoneDoc,

• Do you have any new/different AntiVirus software running on your system?
  • Have you changed any UAC control?

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello,

I got a HP 8460p with fingerprint sensor validity VFM 471. I don't need the HP Protect Tools.

Now I found this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/HP-SimplePass-Identity-Protection-Validi...

But this doesn't work for me.

I am able to install the drivers from HP like "4.3.216.0" and directly from Validity: http://www.validityinc.com/post.aspx?id=186. With the last one an DigitalPersona I can see the fingerprint sensor in the Windows biometric devices list and can use it for windows logon but I can't get it to work within my browser.

If I try to install the new "HP SimplePass Identity Protection by EgisTec" there is an error occurring when I click on this ' HP SimplePass Identity Protection is not initialized ' text. The program doesn't start it only asks my to restart (same after the restart). The driver from this thread is also showing an error. So isn't this SimplePass for the VFM 471 from  the 8460p?

It seems that a lot of people are having problems with their fingerprinter.

HP Recommended

Znrl,

I hope I understand your inquiry...

What OS are you running?  I found the 8460P - HP lists the 8460P with Linux.  I think Linux will run with DP - we don't have it set up yet - just downloaded the other day for one machine.

If you were running Digital Persona, that's what you have to run.  SimplePass doesn't run on all hardware - not the EgisTec and not the HP SiimplePass - it's architecture dependent.

If Digital Persona was working for logins and not for the web browser, were you using Firefox?  Digital Persona won't run on new FF - you have to stick with old FireFox - probably 3.6.x.  Sad, but true.  I have DP on one system and SimplePass on another - both have to run old Firefox.  IE is not so fussy.

The drivers for DP and SimplePass are completely different. 

As I understand it - and I only have Windows systems right now running DP and SimplePass...

If you are running SimplePass, you'll have a Validity Driver at 4.x -

DP uses drivers 2.x and below.

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star in the Post that helped you.

Mark a Post “Accepted Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
I have norton antivirus/security installed. Incidentally I looked at the log in Norton and it may have blocked some parts of the update automatically as I notice several instances of blocked changes under the log. I also see that in HP update manager the digital persona update has a red X next to it instead of green check. I guess this means it wasn't properly installed. Don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?
HP Recommended

BoneDoc,

Would it be ever so nice if Norton is the "bad guy" in all this?  It is possible, even if unlikely because it is so easy...

Regarding the Norton log:  log in Norton and it may have blocked some parts of the update automatically as I notice several instances of blocked changes under the log

Does it appear that  Norton blocked a Windows Update or just the Digital Persona update or the removal of the software or ?

Can you post a line or two from that log that shows some of what was blocked? Thanks.

I also see that in HP update manager the digital persona update has a red X next to it instead of green check. I guess this means it wasn't properly installed.

The update to Digital Persona can be done manually - I have not been able to get updates from HPSA for weeks on one machine, HPSA software is sometimes useless - lots of red X's.  Smiling.

Comment:

Norton is (no doubt) one of the dependent components in the RPC service list - if it's balking, it could cause the Installer to fail when the RPC runs out of resource.

What to Try:

OK - this is going to be the direct, bare-bones approach based on "maybe Norton is the culprit".  It's not fancy and it won't have any "extra" help in it if anything else needs attention - like the Validity Sensor. One thing you could try, if everything else works and you need to update that Driver - just go into the Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-click on the Validity Sensor driver and see if it wants to update.  You can also "Uninstall" it and then install the one you downloaded.  There are lots of posts on driver updates to help...

First, make sure you have a copy of the Digital Persona software on your computer.

Get the DP Software:
Go to the page at the top of this Forum Page and click on Support and Drivers.
Enter your system information and your Operating System...

First, download (save) a copy of the Validity Driver (just in case you need it later):

Look in the category "Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" > Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver

Next, download (save) a copy of Digital Persona Password software:

Look in the category "Software - Security" > Digital Persona Fingerprint Reader Software

Keep track of where you save the files on your computer.

Stop Norton, clear the registry, try the old DP removal:

• Stop Norton with whatever switches are in Norton to stop it.  (Do not delete it, just stop it.)
  • Maybe reboot the system to make sure Norton stays stopped.
  • Run the registry cleaner to clear out the Norton bits (probably won't find anything...)
  • Try removing the Digital Persona.  (Maybe having Norton stopped will free up the Windows Installer.)

NOTE:

You MIGHT not need to remove the old Digital Persona... IF Norton is the culprit and IF the Installer kicks free, it's POSSIBLE that the update might now work and you may get away with just installing the driver and s/w version you downloaded - Install on top of what is on your system.

If that works...

Install the new Digital Persona that you downloaded from the HP Website:

Once you have the Digital Persona software package saved on your computer, you can probably "double-click" on it to install it.  If necessary, "open and run as administrator".

Start up Norton again...

SoapBox:  If you ever want to get rid of Norton - there are alternatives that work - that don't lock up your system...

Good Luck...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

I finally got it to work.  Stopping Norton didn't work. It still didn't allow me to install the DP software. I got the Error 1722 message. So I decided to install the validity driver. I noticed that when the driver was installed the light on the sensor started to blink. I then rebooted the computer and everything seems to be working ok.  However, one thing that I notice is that HP Simplepass doesn't show up in in my installed software list.  When I go to "uninstall programs" section in control panel, I don't see that listed.  I didn't see it even before I installed the driver when I wanted to uninstall it after disabling Norton. Any ideas as to what could have happened?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Good News!  The Validity Sensor controls the hardware - the fingerprinter.

The Digital Persona software controls the password database.

Digital Persona IS your "SimplePass" software for Your machine.  You won't see SimplePass software llisted - you don't have it - you have Digitial Persona instead.  The two programs are similar and yet completely distinct from one another.  People tend to call them the same thing - and it works as long as there is consensus on the subject.  The confusion is partly due, IMO, to the way the software has been marketed.  No matter.

The Digital Persona on my HDX 18t is probably a different version that yours. 

This is what it looks like in Programs and Features:

Programs-Features_Digital_Persona.PNG

The fact that you cannot remove the Digitial Persona software (Programs and Features > Highlight>right-click>remove) from your system sounds to me like there is still an underlying issue with the Windows Installer.  ?

As a last ditch effort to get the DP software off of your system, you could try going to C:\Program Files (or Program Files (x86),) and renaming the Digital Persona Folder to something else.  Then try to go through the removal - it will likely fail since the data is moved to another name - but the error will be different and it may solve the problem in the long run.

Remember:

Always install the Validity Sensor first; the driver controls the hardware

then install the Digitial Persona, the software controls the password database

If the Digital Persona is working, now is a really good time to back up your password database:

Export / Backup:

Start/Open Digital Persona > scan print to open > Online Accounts > Manage > Import and Export

> Export online account data from this computer >

scan print > type your password > browse to your selected folder > type in a name > Finish

Keep the backup file!  Copy it to a USB stick, put it on a second disk... something.  Update it sometimes... If you have to reinstall your computer, and/or reinstall Digital Persona, this is a database of your passwords and website (and windows) login - you can import this file and you are back in business!  NOTE: You might want to keep copies of the installation .exe files!

If you get sick of that nasty old Norton, you could think about replacing it.  Whomever reads this post may have a different opinion (and I hope they feel free to comment) - I use Avast Internet Security - we have several licenses and this works well for us.  There is even a decent Free Version.  My point is that there are alternatives to Norton - check around when you feel ready to do so.  I have heard that AVG is good, too.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Merry Christmas!

I hope this helps.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The program validity isn't in the list , What can I do to make it funtion again ?

HP Recommended

Hi Ungku,

The driver that controls the hardware (the fingerprinter) is  the Validity Sensor Driver

The software that controls the password database is your interface to the hardware.

• The software program that controls the password database will be named one of several names depending on what kind of computer you have.
  • The EliteBook and ProBook series of notebooks might refer to the software as HP ProtectTools.
  • Other notebooks, depending on the computer type and the year it was manufactured refer to the software as SimplePass - and THIS can mean either Digital Persona, or SimplePass 2011 / 2012.

Start > search/type for your software "SimplePass OR ProtectTools OR Digital Persona" >

Click when it shows up in the list.

There may be a link to the software in your Taskbar.  Hover your mouse over the Taskbar icons to see what they are.  If some of your Taskbar icons are "hidden", open the list with your mouse on the arrows.

The Cheap Fix:

Usually, the fastest way to get your fingerprinter to work again, assuming your software is still on the computer, is to install (or reinstall) the Validity Sensor Driver.  This works most of the time.

Here's a basic thread on the subject to point you in the direction.

Where can one find a new/replacement Validity Sensor driver?

Go to the top of this Forum page - to Support and Drivers

Enter your notebook model number

• Open the HP web page for your Product / Model
  • Go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page
  • Enter your Operating System
  • Scroll down - Go to category Driver – Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
  • Select “Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver” (Newest Version OR the one that matches your current installation.)
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location.

Where is your current Validity Sensor Driver:?

Control Panel > icon view >  Device Manager > Biometric Devices >  Validity Sensor >

Right-Click Properties > Driver

Remove Previous Validity Sensor Driver:

If you have a previous version of the Validity Sensor driver installed, you may remove it:

Control Panel > icon view >  Device Manager > Biometric Devices >  Validity Sensor > Right-Click Uninstall 

Reboot

Install Validity Sensor Driver:

• Install the Validity Sensor Driver that was downloaded:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

That's the bare-bones explanation.  It may be enough.

If you need more assistance,

Please provide your exact computer model (product number), and the kind of Windows Operating System you have - Windows 7 32 or 64bit, Vista 64bit, etc.  Be specific.  No serial numbers, please.  Here's some help on finding the information:

Locate the Notebook Product Number

Edits 05-Jan-2012: Removed questions to User - he/she never responded.

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” – Click the Kudos Star next to the Post that helps you.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.