Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Laptop 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

yesterday I purchased a brand new HP Stream 11 laptop. It came already installed with windows 10, but when I got it home and connected to the internet it automatically started downloading updates... 8 hours later and the hard drive was full! 

As it does not seem possible to stop windows 10 from updating, why did HP produce a product that is unusuable with the software provided on it? I am going to have to return it unless someone has some bright ideas? Open to suggestions!! 

All I wanted was a small laptop that could run office and and antivirus, and it can't even do that (even though curry's sell it as a package with both!) 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Pam4eq

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand you want to use the computer for an office task, however, it continues to update the windows and isn't working due to low disk space,

Don't worry as we should be able to work together and obtain more space on your drive:

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure.
  • Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following:
  • powercfg hibernate off
  • Enjoy your extra space!

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern).

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here 

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. The biggest issue was that it had completely filled the hard drive with updates and I couldn't stop it happening! 

But for now i've set it to 'metered' internet so it won't download the updates and I will try your suggestions as well and let you know how I get on. 

HP Recommended

@Pam4eq

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.