Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I bought the:

HP Stream Laptop PC 11-y010nr (Intel Celeron N3060, 4 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC

For my son recently.  In came with Windows 10 pre-sintalled.  I understood that there were some negative reviews regarding lack of memory, but this is ridiculous.  After installing about 1.5 GB of programs, we are at 27.5 out of 27.8 GB used!  I have cleaned up all temporary files using the disk cleanup tool, but it doesn't help.  I'm not sure why everyone says that Windows 10 takes up only 15 GB, but mine takes up 26 GB?  There is no previous windows version that i can easily find to delete...  Does anyone know how to remove any unnecessary files to allow this computer to work at all and be able to install even a bare minimum of files?

I see some old posts about removing a recovery partition worth about 7GB but i cannot locate this file or know if this is still a valid procedure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@swolepatrole wrote:

Hello, I bought the:

For my son recently.  In came with Windows 10 pre-sintalled.  I understood that there were some negative reviews regarding lack of memory, but this is ridiculous.  After installing about 1.5 GB of programs, we are at 27.5 out of 27.8 GB used!  I have cleaned up all temporary files using the disk cleanup tool, but it doesn't help.  I'm not sure why everyone says that Windows 10 takes up only 15 GB, but mine takes up 26 GB?  There is no previous windows version that i can easily find to delete...  Does anyone know how to remove any unnecessary files to allow this computer to work at all and be able to install even a bare minimum of files?

I see some old posts about removing a recovery partition worth about 7GB but i cannot locate this file or know if this is still a valid procedure.

I wouldn't recommend removing or modifying the HP Recovery partition because if your son somehow messes up the operating system this would be the way you have to recover it back to the factory settings.  

You can find instructions for clearing up Disk Space on Windows 10 here.    If that is still not enough space, I would recommend adding an SD Card to the tablet for more storage space, then you can install programs to it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@swolepatrole wrote:

Hello, I bought the:

I wouldn't recommend removing or modifying the HP Recovery partition because if your son somehow messes up the operating system this would be the way you have to recover it back to the factory settings.  

You can find instructions for clearing up Disk Space on Windows 10 here.    If that is still not enough space, I would recommend adding an SD Card to the tablet for more storage space, then you can install programs to it.

HP Recommended

hey, thanks very much.  using those instructions i found a few other things that weren't showing up in other searches and it helped.  SD card will probably be the way to go.

HP Recommended

@swolepatrole wrote:

hey, thanks very much.  using those instructions i found a few other things that weren't showing up in other searches and it helped.  SD card will probably be the way to go.

Good deal, glad to be of assistance!  

HP Recommended

I have had more than A MEMORY ISSUE WITH THIS JUNK. DOES NOTHING FOR ME, JUST SITS THERE. 2ND ONE I BOUGHT, I THOUGHT THE FIRST ONE WAS JUST A LEMON. . SO I EXCUSE HP. . AND I PAID FOR ANOTHER. BOTH WASTEFUL MONEY. CANNOT DO ANYTHING ON THEM. THEY ARE ALWAYS FROZEN. SECOND ONE I ONLY HAD 2 MONTHS & IS FROZEN JUST LIKE  FIRST ONE. NO USE, NO MILES ON THESE, BOTH BRAND NEW. I WOULD BEG HP IF HP COULD JUST CREDIT PARTIALLY THE 2 SO I COULD INVEST IN A BETTER ONE, OR CHROMEBOOK. I AM SINGLE MOTHER, AND CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE THIS WAY & JUST THROW THESE DEVICES OUT .. I HAVE TO GO TO THE LIBRARY TO DO ANY WORK. THESE LAPTOPS ARE NOT USEABLE, AGAIN. THEY JUST STAY FROZEN AND DONT MOVE.

CHP MAKES IT A POINT NOT TO HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH CONSUMERS. I HAVE SPENT TONS OF MONEY WITH HP. I EVEN HAVE AN HP PRINTER, BOUGHT 4 HP PRINTERS THROUGH YEARS. BUT YET HP IS NOT REACHABLE, WHEN YOU TRY TO REACH THEM OR CHAT IT GOES TO A 3RD PARTY IN INDIA. AND THEY PUSH YOU AWAY, AND SAY THEY CANNOT HELP. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. THIS IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY AND I CAN DO NOTHING. THESE LAPTOPS ARE NOT REPAIRABLE. THEY HAVE FACTORY DEFECTS AND SHOULD BE RECALLED. THEY FREEZE and THE TOUCH MOUSE NEVER WORKS, THEY ARE ALL LEMONS & DEFECTIVE, NOT USEFUL FOR ANYTHING. CAN NEVER TYPE, KEYBOARD NEVER WORKING, INTERNET NEVER WORKING, PRINTING NEVER WORKING,

IN MY OPINION, HP LOADED UPT TOO MANY COMPONENTS ON THIS PRIMITIVE LAPTOP & THATS WHY IT IS ENDLESSLY FROZEN. THE WINDOWS AND MS FEATURES ARE NOT CAPAPBLE, I WOULD DIE TO KNOW THEY ARE STILL MAKING THIS JUNK. I AM BEYOND THE 30DAYS TO RETURN TO AMAZON, I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE IT A CHANCE. . THOUGHT HP WAS A GOOD NAME & THEY WILL DO NOTHING FOR THEIR DEFECT. . YOU WILL GET 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES WHO WILL JUST PASS THE BUCK AND SHOO YOU AWAY, DO NOT OWN UP TO THEIR ERRORS, POOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS, NOT ACCOUNTABLE FOR DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

i would RECOMMEND CONTACTING HP AND GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK & WHEN YOU DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO CONTACT THEM, THEY DELIBARATELY MAKE THEMSELVES UNAVAILABLE. I HAVE BOUGHT 2 OF THESE LAPTOPS, AND BOTH FREEZE UP & HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO USE THEM ONCE, THEY RE-ROUTE YOU TO A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY WHO HANGS UP ON YOU AND SHOOS YOU AWAY. . THEY WILL NOT BE ACCOUNTALBE FOR THEIR DEFECTIVE DEVICE. THIS IS ABSOULTELY A DEFECTIVE DEVICEE, AND LAPTOP SHOULD BE RECALLED. AS A SINGLE MOTHER, I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO GO OUT AND BUY A THIRD PC. . I AM VERY VERY UPSET THAT THEY HAVE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVIE, MINE IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, ITS NOT REPAIRABLE, I JUST WANT CREDIT ND A CHOICE OF ONE OF THEIR OTHER PRODUCTS. . EVEN IF ITS A PARTIAL CREDIT. . I JUST DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE ALTOGETHER FOR BOTH. . HP IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM . . THIS IS DEFECTIVE EQUIPMENT, RECALL RECALL

HP Recommended

@SueJean

Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience with the Streams and customer support. You mention you have never been able to use either one- but you let the 30 day return window close at Amazon? (Not sure I understand that)

HP does offer a 1 yr warranty but many of the laptops sold on Amazon are refurbs-with only 90 day warranty. Others may be new models that may have sat in a warehouse long enough for that warranty to run out. Usually HP will adjust warranty in that case if you have proof of purchase date.

We would love to help you here, but need for you to calm down a fraction and give us details rather than posting same thing over and over in all caps.

Btw,I have a Stream tester and it works pretty well for the hardware specs. None of the freezing you mention. Sounds like a hardware problem but the warranty will not allow you to demand a credit-only a repair.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

If we're all having an issue and they know about this issue and are continuing to sell the product, knowing that all the memory will be used up due to the restore points being saved, it's forcing individuals to buy exansive storage. [post edited]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.