Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-248eo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Problems with getting into safemode outside windows. Bluescreen message was SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (atikmdag.sys).

Rebooting and pressing both f5 and f8, trying to get a setup menu with safemode as a choice. I press system recovery in the setup menu and then:

- troubleshoot

- advanced options --> I have no choice in the menu with  Startup settings, so I go to

- Command Prompt

Her I type this information:

bcdedit \set {default} safeboot network

The computer will still not enter into safemode!! The message I get in command prompt after typing this is:

"The specifies command line is not valid. Run "bcdedit \?" for command line assistance".

I have done that, but I dont know what my next move is.

Can somebody help me with my next move so I can get into safemode? Or is my only option to do a system recovery and loose all my files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its your ATI video driver that is causing this, upgrade the driver to the latest version if you can ever get booted into windows.

Look under "Drivers-Graphics" then select "AMD Add-on Graphics Card Driver" download and install.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-500-200-Desktop-PC-series/5399647/model/...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Its your ATI video driver that is causing this, upgrade the driver to the latest version if you can ever get booted into windows.

Look under "Drivers-Graphics" then select "AMD Add-on Graphics Card Driver" download and install.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-500-200-Desktop-PC-series/5399647/model/...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much!! I will fix this if I ever get into windows with out doing a full recovery.... Someway or another I should be able to get into safemode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.