Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My spouses laptop which had not been used in months, on plugging it into my router/ modem was working fine, updated Norton , still worked okay then windows updates came down 112 plus 5 optional updates were installed, after doing a restart I found the mouse would not work and One note kept popping up and the notebook kept freezing up.

I finally tried to resyore to an earlier date, no difference, then I tried a refresh but that failed with an error message, no idea what it said it flashed on and off so fast I did not have a chance to read it.

Now I am doing a recovery using the HP recovery discs, it just prompted me to insert disc 2, on the instruction sheet sent with the discs it says to press F9 but it seems that did not work so tried F 11 and that worked.

I have never been able to set him up with his own Microsoft account password, it always rejects it or changes mine, phone Microsoft many time about this but no help.

If anyone can let me know what is going on with this laptop let me know, I cannot use it without the mouse although my spouse can, but it should work. Inserted disc 2 and pressed enter but a long list of messages appeared about no bootable device, so now I am really stuck. please help, it was windows 8

and the updates were windows 8.1.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @emma22,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I understand you are having an issue with the computer recovery. I will be glad to help you.

here are some documents for system recovery.

Using System Recovery, Factory Reset and Minimized Image Recovery Options

Recovery Manager Fails to Restore Image After Changes to Hard Drive Partition

Creating a Recovery Image on Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 😎

I feel being a part of the HP Community means helping others, please click the Accept as Solution button below if one of these suggests resolves the issue so that other customers can see what worked for you. Solved threads are easier to find. 

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

follow up, I tried to disable secure boot but found it was already disabled so I enabled it and entered to boot from CD /DVD, but after running disc 1 and it requesting disc2 it ejects it and then I get a message saying no hard drive partition, contact HP at www. etc.

I have performed this operation several times with the same result, when I go back to disable secure boot there is nowhere to type in the code, my keys do not work on that notebook right now.

I ran a short hard drive test and it passed ok so that is not the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @emma22,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I understand you are having an issue with the computer recovery. I will be glad to help you.

here are some documents for system recovery.

Using System Recovery, Factory Reset and Minimized Image Recovery Options

Recovery Manager Fails to Restore Image After Changes to Hard Drive Partition

Creating a Recovery Image on Discs or Saving a Recovery Image to a USB Flash Drive (Windows 😎

I feel being a part of the HP Community means helping others, please click the Accept as Solution button below if one of these suggests resolves the issue so that other customers can see what worked for you. Solved threads are easier to find. 

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying but nothing works, I have HP recovery discs but even though disc 1 is in the drive it still goes to boot options and gives me an error message (3F0), I called support for advice even though the product is no longer under warranty, he told me to do a full hard drive test and said if that passed try to install the HP recovery discs again, I had already ran the short HD test and it had passed. I ran the full HD test and it passed along with the memory test.

When I put disc1 in it goes straight to boot options and says install an operating system, after several attemps I finally got it to accept system Image up and HP logo and it asked for disc2 which i put in but it ejected it and shut itself down. when I turned it on again it again went to boot options and said no operating system installed and the error (3F0).

I called again and the support worker said I just needed to order windows CD, I was thinking it was a disc different to the HP recovery discs that I have from HP. I was on the phone four hours being shuffled from one department to another, she put in an order for the disc but then we realised it was the same as I already had so she said she had caught it before it went through, but the next day I got an email saying the discs were being shipped and were in transit so again I phoned, I cannot check on it as the banking web site is down.

Both support workers say that even though the HD tests passed the error (3F0) means the HD is not working so I had them send me a box so they could install a new HD for me at a cost of 268.78.

They both think it was because it had not been used in 4 to 6 months and it was working just fine until the windows updates came down 127 of them, they say it was too much for the system which makes sense because it was after that that it crashed, I guess I should have just installed 10 or 12 updates each day instead at all at once. Disabling secure boot did not work, restore did not complete, and refresh did not work and then it crashed. The discs I have are from HP not what I have made and they are still in the zipped package never been used before. So it seems this is my only option and I hope they can get it to work for us, the HD was already replaced shortly after I bought it for my spouse and they installed a refurbished one. This one they say is brand new so I really hope so. If it works it would be cheaper than buying a new Laptop, I just do not want to be paying for the recovery discs too.

It seems to recognise the disc drive as it does accept disc 1 but makes a loud noise with disc 2.

Before it crashed I ripped one of our own CDs in media player without any problems.

Once again thanks for taking the time out to help me, I really do appreciate it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.