Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (1,627 Views)

HP recovery partition on USB hard drive

Hi,

I have a HP dv6-1277el with Windows 7 installed and I need to create a recovery partition since I have to change the HDD.

I tried to create the recovery disks but the process suddendly stops with an error while writing the first DVD.
 So I'd like to create the partition on a USB device but in the recovery manager utility there's only the option for a DVD.

Should I download the HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility from the website? Can I use an external USB hard drive to create the recovery?

Thanks

Provost
Message 2 of 5 (1,626 Views)

Re: HP recovery partition on USB hard drive

Use the USB recovery flash disk utility   with a 8GB  usb thumbdrive to create the recovery media for your notebook.

For a reliable result use a well known brand such as Sandisk.

Best regards,

erico

If you would like to say thanks, then click on the thumbs up icon next to the Reply button.

If I have helped you to resolve your issue or answered your question, please click the Options link in the post that helped you and then click on the "Mark as Accepted Solution " button
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (1,608 Views)

Isn't it possible to use an external USB hard drive instead of a thumbdrive

Provost
Message 4 of 5 (1,598 Views)

It is, although sometimes making an external hard disk bootable is not as simple as with a thumbdrive. A flash drive is considerably faster storage media than an external hard disk. That is one of a top reasons a thumbdrive is preferred. Restoring or installing an OS from a USB drive is incredibly fast.

Best regards,

erico 

If you would like to say thanks, then click on the thumbs up icon next to the Reply button.

If I have helped you to resolve your issue or answered your question, please click the Options link in the post that helped you and then click on the "Mark as Accepted Solution " button
Highlighted
Top Student
Message 5 of 5 (1,341 Views)

I know a software named Easeus partition master, it is a free software, and it can help you to recover the partitions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation