Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 2206TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hard disk Short DST test failed.

For past few days, my laptop is not booting up.

Running diagnostics showed "Hard disk Short DST test failed".

I removed the hardisk[Toshiba make] and connected as external drive to a MAC.

I am able to access the harddisk and copy some contents from it. So it doesn't looks like a problem with the harddisk.

Is this a problem with the connection of harrdisk to the motherboard or with the harddisk itself??

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,

Yes you can use your friend's recovery media in yours. It should work.

I'm not able to find recovery media for your model from third party sellers too.

No you can't create recovery USB by connecting old drive as externals to another PC. You've to use HP recovery manager application that came with your laptop, and create a set. I think you'll not be able to do it from a failing drive.

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Hi,

There may be quite a bit of bad sectors in the hard drive rendering it in unbootable. Hard drive Short DST definitely indicates failing/failed hard drive.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443465

If you're able to copy the data by connecting it through USB ports, then you're lucky.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response..

Is it suggested to replace the hard disk??

But I am able to access the contents as external drive. 

If it is guranteed that replacing hard disk could boot the laptop, then will do it. 

Need to know the compatible hard disks for my laptop[Pavilion 2206TX].

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes it is recommended to replace the drive soon. If you're within the manufacturer's warranty, HP would send you replacement HDD free of cost. You just need to provide them with failure ID you got along with the Short DST fail messsage.

HP Pavilion g6-2206tx Notebook PC Product Specifications

Your laptop came with 500GB SATA HDD, Windows 8 x64 pre installed.

Any 2.5",  7mm or 9.5mm thickness SATA laptop intenal HDD would work. 

This is your Manual . Look at Page 2, 3, 45-47 for specs and replacement procedure. Its simple.

You would need to use the Recovery media for factory resetting after replacement. If you have not created it before, order it from HP. Contact HP.

Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 😎

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

My warranty is over.

Need to buy a new one.

I dont have a recovery drive. since I am able to access the harddisk as external drive, is it possible to create a recovery drive from that??

My friend is having same laptop(Pavilion 2206 TX) and a recovery drive for the same.

Is it possible to use that recovery drive??

When I tired to contact HP for support, I got message that warranty is expired.

HP Recommended
Hi,

Yes you can use your friend's recovery media in yours. It should work.

I'm not able to find recovery media for your model from third party sellers too.

No you can't create recovery USB by connecting old drive as externals to another PC. You've to use HP recovery manager application that came with your laptop, and create a set. I think you'll not be able to do it from a failing drive.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far.

I got a new hard disk. When I used my friend's recovery drive, got below error.

"The system recovery media does not support this computer. You are not able to restore this system with the media".

What to do ??

Thanks Much !!

HP Recommended
Hi,

I really don't know why recovery media didn't work. It should if you used the one from exactly another same model as yours.

It is working in your friends? Like just, put it in DVD rack and see if it's booting into into page?

Regards

Visruth
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.