Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2000
Microsoft Windows Server 2008

Hi i have a few years old hp 2000 about a week ago it started going black screen with a cusor and loading screen non stop. While messing with it i reseated the hardrive and was finally able to get into f2. f11 and the other things dont work. I ran startup tests on hardrive and smart check passed but the hard disc short had a faliure id of: 94qk3t-6ng85T-mfgjxg-60tn03. Product ID: D1E89UA#ABA. It sometimes makes the skipping sound, should have windows 8 or 10 on it. What would be the best course of action if i want a cheap fix. I didnt back it up but not really alot of information on there i cared about and just need it operational again. I heard that you can make recovery drives for when you insert a new hardrive and instal windows on that way free from usb port. I guess what i am getting at is can i fix the now 2-3 year old drive or should i get a new one, and if have to get new one can i use the usb free method to make it work again. Thanks in Advancace  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Your notebook is listed as coming with a 500Gb Hard Drive, but you can just as easily install a 750Gb HDD if you want a bit more space - the drives on the following links are examples that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

750Gb Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 54 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling the operating system on the new drive, there are a couple of options depending on whether the notebook had ever been upgraded to Windows 10 or not.

1.  The machine originally shipped with Windows 8 64bit - recovery media for this may still be available from HP, alternatively, it is also still stocked by the 3rd party re-seller on the link below.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-23436-windows-8-64-bit-recovery-kit-708898-001-for-hp-notebook-pc-...

2.  If the machine has been ( or has ever been ) upgraded to Windows 10, a hardware profile of this is retained by the activation servers. As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8, you can just create your own Windows 10 installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

oh all the letters in the code are capitalized. sorry is late thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Your notebook is listed as coming with a 500Gb Hard Drive, but you can just as easily install a 750Gb HDD if you want a bit more space - the drives on the following links are examples that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

750Gb Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 54 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling the operating system on the new drive, there are a couple of options depending on whether the notebook had ever been upgraded to Windows 10 or not.

1.  The machine originally shipped with Windows 8 64bit - recovery media for this may still be available from HP, alternatively, it is also still stocked by the 3rd party re-seller on the link below.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-23436-windows-8-64-bit-recovery-kit-708898-001-for-hp-notebook-pc-...

2.  If the machine has been ( or has ever been ) upgraded to Windows 10, a hardware profile of this is retained by the activation servers. As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8, you can just create your own Windows 10 installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thanks
HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I got a 69$ internal disc harddrive from Best Buy. Is a seagate 1tb sata would this work? Says works with Windows 10 but under syestem requirements it has 6gb sata and am not sure if that means ram in which I have only 4gb.
HP Recommended
I already have Windows 10 on my flash drive and just need to know if the harddrive is the kind that will work. Am just being a lil cautious other then that once I get all the syestem requirements I should be all ready to fix this.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You should be fine, but post back with a link to the HDD you've purchased - generally, any sata 2.5" drive ( height 9.5mm ) will work.

The 6Gb/s refers to the speed of Sata port ( connection ) on your notebooks system board that you're plugging the drive in to.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yeah seems to have worked am typing on it right now. Thanks for all the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.