Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G62 371DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP G62 371DX
Couple of months ago my HP Notebook was very sluggish, then crashed. I Did factory reinstall using Discs I ordered/purchased from HP. It was a sucessful recovery the first time I used the Recovery Disks, and after days of WIN updates, even was running Win 10, without a hiccup. I then got a couple messages about hdd health status and eminent failure. I decided to upgrade the laptop by purchasing a new battery, and HDD. when I attempted to use System Recovery disks to reinstall Windows 7 to Factory State, it failed with an error:

Copy File Fails
TO: C: \RM\IMAGE|BASE11.WIM
PRESS OK TO RETRY

It then reloads the" Windows is preparing your computer for its first use" OVER AND OVER. Could there be something wrong with the recovery disks?

99girl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

One option you could try, to see if the issue is with the Recovery Discs, would be to see if you can perform a clean installation of Windows 10.

As you mention that you recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, a hardware profile of your machine will have been recorded by the activation servers

Therefore, as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from Windows 7, you can just create the Windows 10 media on another PC and then perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link. 

Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

One option you could try, to see if the issue is with the Recovery Discs, would be to see if you can perform a clean installation of Windows 10.

As you mention that you recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, a hardware profile of your machine will have been recorded by the activation servers

Therefore, as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from Windows 7, you can just create the Windows 10 media on another PC and then perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link. 

Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
OMG, that's wonderful! I had no idea I could do that! I will let you know how it turns out. Ill do it tonight! Thank you.
HP Recommended
DP-K,
I also have desktop pc with Win 10. Upgraded from win 7 ultimate 64 bit. I have made a Win 10 clean install USB flashdrive for it. I can not use that one, can I? One is pro, other premium. The laptop is OEM, right? My Win 7ultimate was retail, so again, can't use that one, right?
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Unfortunately you can't use Windows 10 Pro edition.

Your laptop shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, so when you originally upgraded, it would've been to Windows 10 Home 64bit, therefore that is the version you need to create on a flash drive in order for Windows 10 to activate Ok.

Remember that at the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' and  Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed ( it can sometimes take a couple of reboots for this to occur ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Windows 10 up and running on new HDD!  Thank You for your help, and even more, suggesting a solution that was so simple! :LaughingTears:

Spoiler

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.