Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook-15-p214dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hey guys im giving my HP Pavilion Notebook-15-p214dx laptop to my  new brother in law, however, I wan't to delete everything on it except for the windows. However I don't if this laptop came with any disc because I can't seem to find any. Other threads people have recovery O.S reinstallation disc but I do not. So I was wondering what I should do, thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Again, you can try them... however after an OS upgrade those option typically reset or restore the new OS and not the.original.
Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

SuperDumbKid

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about resettting your laptop and wanted to help.

IF this laptop came preinstalled with Win10, you should do a full reset following these instructions: HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

What if it came with windows 8, then it auto applied windows 10 months later?  Can I still use the same procedure?

HP Recommended

The HP Pavilion 15-p214dx Product Specifications indicate that your computer shipped was Windows 8.1 installed. Since the computer has been upgraded to Windows 10, the previously noted procedures no longer apply... except for using the HP Recovery Media. If you didn't create the HP Recovery Media when you first setup your computer, you can purchase is from HP at DVD - Windows 8.1 64b Recovery Kit. This media will return the computer to a factory like state.

Additionally, there is another procedure that may work... however, it involves using the Windows Disk Management console to "MARK" the HP Recovery partition as ACTIVE and then rebooting the computer. If this works, the computer will begin the recovery process. If it doesn't work, you will be left with an unusable until you mark the original ACTIVE partition as active again. This will require the use of a bootable partitioning tool.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

Thank you for the replay, I cannot do the first option and the second option sounds too complex for me. Are these really my only options?

HP Recommended

Also I see the Recovery Manager in front of me, it lets me perform a HP Recovery Environment and it ask me If I want to continue and if so click OK, so is this program completly usless now?

HP Recommended
You can try it, however I have never seen it work properly after an OS upgrade.
Frank

HP Recommended

And I assume update and security in which I see a reset this PC and then it says Restore Factory settings including my original windows 8 will not work either? I simply just don't know what to do, because I can't do any of the first two options in your suggestion.

HP Recommended
Again, you can try them... however after an OS upgrade those option typically reset or restore the new OS and not the.original.
Frank

HP Recommended
Thanks for your help, appreciate it a lot. I"ll just have to buy the disc oh well, thanks though.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.