Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15

Hello, I have a really bad problem. It's not all about learn Windows license. OK, now read it carefully.

(ENG)

First, i searched SteamOS on lots of websites and i learned how to dual-boot it with Windows. I made every step on my EXTERNAL harddisk. Installer did everything for me, but i only choose external harddisk, after installation, i learned it deleted all of "sda" disk (original disk). Not only "sdb" (external harddrive). I don't know why. Can i learn my Windows license again?

(TR)

Öncelikle, SteamOS hakkında inanılmaz bir araştırma yaptım, nasıl Windows ile aynı anda çalıştırabileceğimi öğrendim ve adımları birer birer harici harddiskime yaptım. Buraya kadar herşey normal. Ancak, kurulum bittikten ve bilgisayarı yeniden başlattıktan sonra öğrendimki SteamOS "ciğim" bilgisayardaki ana diskide sıfırlamış, onca program, oyun, belge herşey gitmiş. Tamam, bunları tekrar indir yap derken en az 1 ay. Hadi o iyi. Ama 500 TL'lik Windows 10 anahtarı? Onu öğrenebilir miyiz? Bir arkadaş genelde BIOS'a gömülü olur dedi. Eğer öyle birşey varsa mükemmel olur. Bu arada garantinin bitmesine 3 ay var.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

TurkRevolution

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I've been doing dual-boot Linux installations for many years, and one important thing I learned early on is ALWAYS have ALL the other drives disconnected when you go to do a Linux install.

Why?

Because the installer defaults to "sda" and will make changes to that drive -- unless you go way out of your way to prevent it.

You asked for your Windows license back.  But which is it that you really need:

1) Retrieve the product key for your original OS installation

2) Reinstall your original OS installation

Also, we need to know the detailed product number of your PC: Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

And finally, regarding retrieving your product key, we need to know which Windows version you were running.

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

TurkRevolution

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I've been doing dual-boot Linux installations for many years, and one important thing I learned early on is ALWAYS have ALL the other drives disconnected when you go to do a Linux install.

Why?

Because the installer defaults to "sda" and will make changes to that drive -- unless you go way out of your way to prevent it.

You asked for your Windows license back.  But which is it that you really need:

1) Retrieve the product key for your original OS installation

2) Reinstall your original OS installation

Also, we need to know the detailed product number of your PC: Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

And finally, regarding retrieving your product key, we need to know which Windows version you were running.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yeah i installed lots of Linux distros but this is the first time it deletes "sda" disk. And thank you for that link. I think this will be enough.

Thank you.

c04098534.jpg

HP Recommended

Oh, sorry, can i use that serial number for install my Windows 10, or only factory version of my Notebook?

HP Recommended

Sorry, but the information you provided does not work -- as C6S10AS does not bring up a product page.

IF this is a sleekbook, there will be a product number like 14-bnnnxx , where nnn=3-digit number, xx= 2 letters.

Also, you did NOT provide the OS version you were running -- we need that.

Thanks

HP Recommended

OK, I was using Ubuntu until i get back Windows. And i searched YouTube, internet and lots of places, i tried to make Windows 10 bootable USB disk on Ubuntu. That was hard, but i did it. Now i'm using Windows 10 again.

How?

I just boot from USB disk and HP logo came out. Lol, technology is great. I didn't enter any codes or anything else. Just like a normal Linux installation. Free and easy. Thank you for everything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.