Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Purchased this HP Envy Touchsmart 17 notebook PC with Windows 8.1 and want to, sort of, dock it.   I want to use a wireless keyboard & mouse, use a large external HDMI monitor (only one, not dual) and external PC speakers.    However, when I close the lid on the Envy, everything shuts down.

How do I set up the Envy and/or Win 8.1 to allow me to use the external monitor, mouse and keyboard when the Envy lid is shut?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mr_Bill_Z

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you want to connect an alternate monitor and use that as the primary display, is that right?

If the answer is Yes, there are just a few things you need to follow to get the setup you prefer:

You can save power by specifying what the computer does when you close the lid or when you press the power button.

• Depending on the setting you specify, pressing the power button causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.

• Depending on the setting you specify, closing the lid causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.

Use the following steps to change power button and lid settings:

1. At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results.

2. In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does.

3. To change settings for the power button, click the arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes.

4. To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid, select the setting you wish to use(Select - Do nothing), and then click Save changes.

Figure : Changing lid closure settings

Changing lid closure settings

Need assistance with connecting an alternate monitor: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mr_Bill_Z

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand you want to connect an alternate monitor and use that as the primary display, is that right?

If the answer is Yes, there are just a few things you need to follow to get the setup you prefer:

You can save power by specifying what the computer does when you close the lid or when you press the power button.

• Depending on the setting you specify, pressing the power button causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.

• Depending on the setting you specify, closing the lid causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.

Use the following steps to change power button and lid settings:

1. At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results.

2. In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does.

3. To change settings for the power button, click the arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes.

4. To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid, select the setting you wish to use(Select - Do nothing), and then click Save changes.

Figure : Changing lid closure settings

Changing lid closure settings

Need assistance with connecting an alternate monitor: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  That was simple and worked as I wanted it to.

HP Recommended

@Mr_Bill_Z

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.