Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I feel your pain.

After making the edited post which worked for ONE HP stream I decided to tackle my Mums Stream..... 

I was warned NOT TO DELETE THE RECOVERY PARTITION because the windows 8 accesses files from it to run and that if you do override it to remove it you will crash the operating system. Not sure if true but i didnt want to risk that. 

It would not upgrade the same way mine did...  For hers in the end i had to run a full system restore, then ran all updates and from there was able to run the media creation tool to run the update..   Not from a thumb drive like i had to on mine but just from the program itself once downloaded.....   This boggles my mind since i had tried that over and over before and it failed over and over... When it needed new space i pointed it to a micro SD and that is that.. Worked fine.. Much easier than the round about way i  worked mine.    Once the update was done i created a recovery media usb thumbdrive and then deleted the partition to make some room since i had less than 2GB after install and updates..  all is working now. 

HP Recommended

I read this thread before tackling the upgrade on a Stream 11 and was expecting problems. Well it couldn't have gone any smoother. I simply had a spare 16GB USB as a back up (needed 9GB free) whilst the install went through. I did the updtae after creating  USB disk and running the setup.exe from that.

Where mine differs is that the 7GB recovery partition was gone once everything had finished and I have a 28GB C drive partition with a Windows.old folder with about 12GB of space used for Win 8.1 that I'll eventually delete.

I'm in the UK, but I doubt that should affect the install, but odd that the recovery partition was gone. So just to be clear this is wht I did:

1. Use media creation tool to creatre a USB

2. Run setup.exe from the created USB in Win8.1.

3. Blank 16GB USB in the other port.

4. When the warning comes up about lack of space selected the blank USB.

5. Waited about 1.5 hours to install

6. All done, no need to delete partitons; there is now 480MB partition leftover called recovery (not sure what that is). C drive = 28.2GB

HP Recommended

I have formatted both C drive (21 GB) and recovery drive (7 GB)

I installed Windows 10 Education in C drive. Now there is around 11 GB free space after doing that.

When I right click on recovery partition in disk manager, I get only Help option. How to delete the recovery partition and add it to C drive. How can I use the recovery partition in a useful way. I don't need a recovery partition at all.

[UPDATE]

I reinstalled windows 10. Before reinstalling I chose advanced installation settings and deleted the C drive and recovery drive. I got more than 28 GB free space as unallocated partition. I installed windows in that and I got C drive with full 28 GB and had a free space of more than 14 GB.

I don't think you need the recovery partition. You can create a USB recovery drive at a later point of time.

HP Recommended
Just got delivery of a HP stream 13.

I want to upgrade to windows 10 and then do a clean install is windows 10 without losing my activation.

Can I simply upgrade using Windows update our do I need to attach a USB drive to my stream while trying to upgrade, so that when the disk space error pops up I can select the USB drive.
HP Recommended
You have two.options. First, use the recovery option to go to a clean install of win 8, and then immediately install win10 BEFORE you install any windows updates for windows 8. That should give you just enough free space. I would suggest downloading the windows 10 installation to a usb drive and install it from there, instead of going through. Windows update.

The other option is to erase the recovery partition and add it to the C drive. This gives you plenty of space free fir Windows 10, however you will never be able to run recovery back to a clean Windows 8. after windows 10 is installed you can run a utility to get your cd key so you can install again if you need to from a windows 10 bootUsb drive.

I chose option 2 because opt 1 was giving me fits. Btw, I could never get it to install using a USB drive for temporary space while installing Windows 10. It would always come up later and ask me to insert the drive, even though is inserted and I could never figure out how to fix that.

I went with the
HP Recommended
Thank you for that amazing reply.

I think choosing the second seems to be a better option.

But I am still a bit paranoid because I have read a few instances a on a different forum, where users were having issues with their clean installs. To their utter horror, Windows 10 was asking for a product key at the time of installation. Since we are not given product keys inside the box, I do not understand how the installation will continue for windows 10.

Here I see that you were talking about a utility that will give me my product key for windows 10. But will I be able to apply this key after I am finished clean installing Windows 10 on my stream 13?

By the way I am following the following guide to install Windows 10 on my stream 13.

www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

And I had another question, where should we download a copy of windows 10 for us stream 13 users. Is this the appropriate link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

I am using the following guide to create a Bootable USB.

www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html

I just don't want to loose my product key while upgrading to windows 10. But I still want to do a clean install because it makes the most amount of sense. Lastly when we download the iso file from Microsofts website, which version of windows do we select. Can we select the 32bit or do we have to choose 64bit by default. What would be the better option?

Thank you for reading this far.

Awaiting your reply.

Have a nice day!
HP Recommended
Were you able to resolve this and install Win 10? Having the same issue with my brand new Stream. I get the Insert drive message with the ok/cancel.
HP Recommended

Yes my issue has been resolved.

Steps:

1) Download Windows 10 from Microsoft's website

2) Put it on a USB drive

3) Note that Windows 10 is most likely going to be downloaded in C:

4) Keep a 16 GB USB drive in hand

5) Start the installation by clicking on the setup.exe from your USB drive

6) Once the installation comes to the screen where it asks you to plug some sort of external storage; plug in the 16 GB+ USB you have in hand.

7) The installation will continue as it is meant to.

😎 You're all set.

Reply back if you are still facing any issues with the installation. I am currently running Windows 10 on my HP Stream 13. And I am also thinking of buying an External HDD as well as a Interal HDD casing for my old HDD so that I can get my files back from my previous dekstop PC.

As I was typing out this reply, I noticed the font of the website. Does anyone know the name of this Font?

Have a pleasant day.

HP Recommended

@Alfadon wrote:

Yes my issue has been resolved.

Steps:

1) Download Windows 10 from Microsoft's website

2) Put it on a USB drive

3) Note that Windows 10 is most likely going to be downloaded in C:

4) Keep a 16 GB USB drive in hand

5) Start the installation by clicking on the setup.exe from your USB drive

6) Once the installation comes to the screen where it asks you to plug some sort of external storage; plug in the 16 GB+ USB you have in hand.

7) The installation will continue as it is meant to.

😎 You're all set.

Reply back if you are still facing any issues with the installation. I am currently running Windows 10 on my HP Stream 13. And I am also thinking of buying an External HDD as well as a Interal HDD casing for my old HDD so that I can get my files back from my previous dekstop PC.

As I was typing out this reply, I noticed the font of the website. Does anyone know the name of this Font?

Have a pleasant day.

I want to do this, but I don't have any flashdrives on hand. What I do have is an external HDD. Would I be able to use that for both the setup.exe file and the additional space step? Or do they have to be on different drives?

HP Recommended

Hello,

As far as I know, you will need to have to storage devices connected to your Stream 13 while installing Windows 10.

Alternatively you can run the Setup.exe from your Stream 13 and have a formatted external HDD connected.

And when the setup asks you to connect a storage device that has 9.00GB or more storage space available, you can go ahead and point the setup to your connected HDD.

I believe that should do the trick.

Please write back to me, if you are sucessfully able to install windows 10 on your Stream 13.

Good day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.