Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-6195us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all!

I was hoping to download a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit ISO from Microsoft, but I am having difficulty. Since I bought my laptop from HP with Windows preinstalled, the Microsoft site will not allow me to obtain an ISO. It requires me to contact my manufacturer instead.

How can I obtain a Windows ISO from HP?

Thanks

Rex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Rex

Did you try this website for downloading the ISO:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Enter the 25 character product key printed in the COA sticker on the back of the laptop and download the ISO

Update: If the above don't seem to work, the only option left is Recovery USB from HP.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

If your key is still visible on your COA sticker you may try to download the appropriate Windows version from Digital River and burn your ISO to disk if it is still available.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

@Nuccii

Update:

As of February 2015, these direct downloads have been pulled. "Free" access to the OS disk images is somewhat limited now.

The takedown is probably permanent to force customers to download their installation media on the new Software Recovery Centre. The new site gives you access to the required ISO file in any of 19 available languages: Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional, Hong Kong), Chinese (traditional, Taiwan), Danish, Dutch, Finnish, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Spanish, Swedish.

However, entering a product key is mandatory. Unfortunately, only retail product keys will work. For users of OEM or System Builder (SB) licenses, the disk images are out of reach. The recovery centre is only available in supported regions.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

Hi Visruth, thanks for your response.

As you say, I do not have access to the Microsoft ISOs with my OEM license. How would I obtain a recovery usb from HP?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Windows wont let you use an OEM license on their site, the code won't validate.  And, FYI, if you purchase discs from HP they will ONLY work with the exact same hard drive.  So, if your hard drive fails, and you buy a larger or smaller one - you can't use their disks. 

HP Recommended
@SusanHunter,

HP recovery media WILL WORK with any hard drive is capacity 256gb or above.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I wish that were true.  I spent 2 hours one day, and another hour a second day trying to make my download work.  After all that they said I needed a CD, which they then mailed.  The CD came, and I spent another 2 hours on the phone, because the recovery gets all the way to the end and then I get a rstone.exe error.  I finally got to someone new, and they said that the disk is expecting the 750GB drive, and since I purchased a 500GB drive, it would not work.  They said my only option was to buy a new hard drive, that exactly matched the specs. After 5 hours on the phone, I was done.  Felt too much like a bait and switch. 

HP Recommended

That is because you had 0rignally 750 GB. You downgraded to 500 GB. The disk was imaged to the CD with 750 GB so it has to be anything above 750 GB. That is just the way HP work on consumer grade. Now the Buiness models you have the OS DVD a HP Branded OEM for whatever OS. Now as for the C.O.A you cannot download from Microsoft with the HP OEM C.O.A. But if you purchase an OEM OS DVD unbranded with C.O.A you can use the key tom download. So as long as it's not a branded C.O.A you can download from Microsoft using media creation tool.

Visit my forum
http://computersetc.prophpbb.com/
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.