Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook PC

I need to restore my PC to the orginal factory settings, how do I do that?

Thanks

Bill

I am an HP employee
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP Recovery Manager can be accessd from the Start Menu, or by tapping F11 key immediately after powering on the notebook/PC. Recovery Manager is used to reinstall back to factory specs_also used to make Recovery Media.

HP has documents explaining the process for.. Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 found here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HP Recovery Manager can be accessd from the Start Menu, or by tapping F11 key immediately after powering on the notebook/PC. Recovery Manager is used to reinstall back to factory specs_also used to make Recovery Media.

HP has documents explaining the process for.. Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 found here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110

HP Recommended

I'm not really sure if it fits in this subject but for certain reasons I want to reset my HP notebook but I'm not sure if it will need an installation chip or something since I brought it off eBay and I'm not sure.

By the way my HP notebook is the HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC

Please help me! Thanks

- Yukan

HP Recommended

@Yukan The laptop should have a Recovery partition you can boot into and do a Factory Reset. You should also have the option of creating Recovery Media to boot from if/when needed. Please review the process in my link posted above.

HP Recommended

HI @yukan,

if your laptop doesn't have recovery manager through the F11 key at startup, it means that the original hard drive might have been replaced or fdisk or formatted. So, if you rather want to reinstall your system , here are some steps to follow:

- You will need to backup your data using an external drive.

- Buy a copy of an operation system or download linux

-Obtain or buy a copy of every software that you will need to see back on your computer .

- perform OS + Applications reinstllation and finally restore your data from external drive to the laptop.

regards

IT engineer,
Team/Tech lead End User Computer team. Consultant at TATA Consulting Service and Tricontinental LTD.
HP Recommended

@Patravane

Actually that is only partially accurate.

If the F11 shortcut, which should invoke the HP Recovery Manager, no longer works as expected, it is quite likely that the recovery partition has been deleted or changed.

That is all it takes to make  the F11 shortcut stop working.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.