Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was told that the performance of my notebook could be effected by missing or corrupt files. I can't find system check in control panel and it is not found when I try to type it in and run. I do not have the original recovery disk or the installation disk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

According to the page I linked in the other post: Hard Drive16 GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module).  Solid State Drive= SSD

You can still do the other:

One way to run a check and repair corrupt files is to open cmd in the start menu, then right click and "Run as Administrator".  Then type chkdsk c:/ r

• If you get a "Chkdsk cannot run" error, type Y, ChkDsk will run on your next Windows boot

That will possibly fix any system file corruption but not others.  It you suspect corruption in other or all files, then probably the SSD is having problems.  That cannot be fixed with conventional methods, AFAIK.  Maybe time to replace that with either a new SSD or a conventional hard drive, if possible.  Not sure how HP implimented the SSD into the mini.

Since there is no DVD/CD drive built into the unit, get an external hard drive or flash drive and backup any data you deem imortant before things get worse.  You can buy flash drives 16GB or larger, so that would be my suggestion.  Just copy everything to a flash drive before anything else is done.

BTW: I did find Recovery media here: http://www.computersurgeons.com/SearchProducts.aspx?sbt=hp%20mini%201030nr%20&bkm=Results#Results

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The recent laptops do have the ability to make Recovery DVD sets, see here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Same page has instructions for ordering Recovery DVD set, if necessary.

One way to run a check and repair corrupt files is to open cmd in the start menu, then right click and "Run as Adminidtrator".  Then type chkdsk c:/ r

• If you get a "Chkdsk cannot run" error, type Y, ChkDsk will run on your next Windows boot

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
Thanks but the link does not apply to my notebook, it is an older one.
HP Recommended

Really need the model number and the Windows version to offer any more meaningful help, in that case.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I have an hp mini 1030nr PC running windows xp sp3

HP Recommended

According to this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01600627

If this is truely a hp mini 1030nr then it does not have a hard drive (has an SSD), but if it is a hp mini 110-1030nr, then it does have a hard drive.

I cannot comment on the one with an SSD, but it would appear that the 110-1030nr does not incorporate the F10 or F11 Recovery

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
I do have the hp mini 1030nr not the 110-1030nr, i also have windows xp pro and microsoft office 2010. This probably doesn't help. What is an SSD?
HP Recommended

According to the page I linked in the other post: Hard Drive16 GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module).  Solid State Drive= SSD

You can still do the other:

One way to run a check and repair corrupt files is to open cmd in the start menu, then right click and "Run as Administrator".  Then type chkdsk c:/ r

That will possibly fix any system file corruption but not others.  It you suspect corruption in other or all files, then probably the SSD is having problems.  That cannot be fixed with conventional methods, AFAIK.  Maybe time to replace that with either a new SSD or a conventional hard drive, if possible.  Not sure how HP implimented the SSD into the mini.

Since there is no DVD/CD drive built into the unit, get an external hard drive or flash drive and backup any data you deem imortant before things get worse.  You can buy flash drives 16GB or larger, so that would be my suggestion.  Just copy everything to a flash drive before anything else is done.

BTW: I did find Recovery media here: http://www.computersurgeons.com/SearchProducts.aspx?sbt=hp%20mini%201030nr%20&bkm=Results#Results

I'm not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.