Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My computer had to be reboot with an HP tech rep, but he made sure I backep up my files on a usb drive.  Now, my computer back working as though new, but I inserted the usb drive and see all the files under .wim file.  Can someone please give me the steps, How do I open .wim files after backup.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Please find the weblink given below might help you.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

If I open the backup files, will they overwrite my current files and therefore lose data I have created since the backup? Thanx for the response.

HP Recommended

Use 7-zip software for extract .wim files. download 7 zip from here or go to www.7-zip.org/download.html. Visit: www.infolet.org

HP Recommended

how do i open wim file after backup

HP Recommended
Thanks, no matter how many boxes I checked to recover, the Recovery Manager failed at 69% or 78% (usually 78%)!! Tried 8 times with different boxes checked to recover different files.
HP Recommended

My computer had to be restored after some windows problems. Prior to restore, all files were backed up.  Now, my computer back working as though new, buNow after restore when I open my back ups, I get all these files with the suffix .WIM. Some of these files are very large, so I guess they contain my backup data. But how do I open these files please?

HP Recommended

Hello everyone.  I understand you're having trouble accessing the files on your backup discs.

Take a look at this thread and follow the steps.  It should allow you to access the files inside your *.WIM archives.

Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks, that link was helpful.  Now, how to I reinstall programs like Word, Kapersky and files such as Favorites?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

How do I open .wim file after backup?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.