Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

A Windows update shut down my Pavilion dv6 laptop. I had to back up my files through F11, using HP Recovery Manager, and then run a factory reset (as it wouldn't let me do a restore from any of the restore points listed).

I have followed the instructions for recovering files with HP Recovery Mgr. THere are lots of instruction sites and they all just take me to the point where I have a System Recovery file on C: and I have  a shortcut to it on my desktop. ALL the instructions then finish by telling me I can use the shortcut to "view the restored files". End of story.

Well, I want to do more than just "view the restored files"! I want them in a location where they will work. There's all kinds of files in there, but it doesn't seem like the system is doing anything with the data. I went through the whole process to get this all backed up then reinstalled and now it seems to be just sitting in a file in C:! I have manually transferred my personal files into my libraries because I needed to use them. But all the rest I don't know what it is or where it goes. How do I move them to their original location? Do I need to do anything to get them recognized/activated?

Thanks for any advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

They are backed up because it was a whole drive backup. Yes, the program files are largely useless. You cannot recreate running programs by simply transplanting files. The only way to transplant programs is to "clone" the hard drive, or with a "system image" backup. If you carefully named the new installation with the same user name as the old you CAN transfer things like settings and preferences (and even iTunes libraries) by moving them into the exact same folder in the new installation. Be sure you have set the file browser to show hidden files as you want to transfer those, too. 

The Swsetup folder, for example, is your old original drivers and HP original apps. These can be simply reinstalled from the swsetup folder by launching them from the new installation. Likely the factory reinstall put these back in anyway but driver updates are in there as well that were added after the laptop was new. 

The Program files folder will at least remind you of the names of the programs you did have installed. Programs to be activated have to be registered in the registry and it has to be done through a Windows installer routine absent an exact sector by sector clone from one drive to another. If you reinstall the programs then some of the files you moved over like preferences, history, etc. will be used by the reinstalled program so that it runs more like it used to on your old machine. For example if you move the old iTunes folder into the new "Music" folder you will not have iTunes running on the computer but the minute you download and install iTunes from Apple's website the old music and settings will be activated by the new iTunes and it will look just like the old iTunes with all your music and playlists in place. 

Leave the Windows folder alone. Nothing in there to transfer that will be useful to you. 

For future reference you should be doing a system image type backup which can be restored with programs and all and is not just a reinstall of the OS with saved files. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There is a difference between files and programs or apps. You will have to reinstall programs. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, Huffer.

There are a mighty lot of folders in the System Recovery file. There are the two folders of program files, but there are also lots of others wich I presume are settings and preferences. I admit I don't know what they are but I assumed that they must be helpful in some way for restoring my laptop, seeing as they have been included in the backup. Surely they must be there for a reason?

Are the program files of no use? If so, why are they included in a backup through HP Recovery manager? Should I just delete them to create more disk space?

Could you suggest how I can activate the other files? They are:

Found.000

HP

MSO Cache

Program Data

SwSetup

SYSTEM.SAV

Windows (lots of folders in there!)

Thanks again,

HP Recommended

They are backed up because it was a whole drive backup. Yes, the program files are largely useless. You cannot recreate running programs by simply transplanting files. The only way to transplant programs is to "clone" the hard drive, or with a "system image" backup. If you carefully named the new installation with the same user name as the old you CAN transfer things like settings and preferences (and even iTunes libraries) by moving them into the exact same folder in the new installation. Be sure you have set the file browser to show hidden files as you want to transfer those, too. 

The Swsetup folder, for example, is your old original drivers and HP original apps. These can be simply reinstalled from the swsetup folder by launching them from the new installation. Likely the factory reinstall put these back in anyway but driver updates are in there as well that were added after the laptop was new. 

The Program files folder will at least remind you of the names of the programs you did have installed. Programs to be activated have to be registered in the registry and it has to be done through a Windows installer routine absent an exact sector by sector clone from one drive to another. If you reinstall the programs then some of the files you moved over like preferences, history, etc. will be used by the reinstalled program so that it runs more like it used to on your old machine. For example if you move the old iTunes folder into the new "Music" folder you will not have iTunes running on the computer but the minute you download and install iTunes from Apple's website the old music and settings will be activated by the new iTunes and it will look just like the old iTunes with all your music and playlists in place. 

Leave the Windows folder alone. Nothing in there to transfer that will be useful to you. 

For future reference you should be doing a system image type backup which can be restored with programs and all and is not just a reinstall of the OS with saved files. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.