Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
-
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a laptop with Windows 8 in the factory image.

I installed Windows 10 but had some issue with 3rd party softwares.

It's a general question, not related to a laptop model.

How to reinstall Windows 10 ? Do I need to put back the factory image ? It's seems the Windows 10 upgrade works only with Windows 8.1

With the factory image, the steps will be:

-Restore the factory image
-Install all windows update in Windows 8.0 to get the Windows 8.1 update
-update drivers
-Install Windows 8.1
-Install all windows 8.1 update to get Windows 10

-Install Windows 10

It's seems to be a very long process.

What's the recommended way to reinstall Windows 10 ?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

In order to install and have it self activate when online, you have to have previously activated copy of Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 installed to perform an upgrade to Windows 10.

Installing a clean copy of Windows 10 will require a seperately purchased license. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

After upgrade from Win 7 or 8 and activation, it is possible to do Win 10 clean install. Just skip serial number as activation take place automatically by using hardware information.

HP Recommended

I don't want to do a clean. I don't want to install every driver.

Is it possible to upgrade the Windows 8 factory image (not 8.1) directly to Windows 10, keeping all drivers ?

There is 144 important update in Windows 8, only to have access to Windows 8.1 installation page in Windows store. 

I don't want to take one week to install Windows 10

HP Recommended

You will have to do the updates to Windows 8 before upgrading. 

Once that is done you can use the following link to upgrade your OS to Windows 10 by using the media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

" Installing a clean copy of Windows 10 will require a seperately purchased license. "

I assume that includes the Windows 10 license that comes with Windows 10 preinstalled HP PCs?

HP Recommended

@Joachim123 wrote:

" Installing a clean copy of Windows 10 will require a seperately purchased license. "

I assume that includes the Windows 10 license that comes with Windows 10 preinstalled HP PCs?

You are making an incorrect assumption. Read the previous posts a bit more carefully.  The original author's PC is not one that had preinstalled Windows 10, so that has nothing to do with it.

Are you perhaps thinking out loud?  .

This is a thread authored by a person who is asking questions related to the options that are available to him.

HP Recommended

Of course I am only interested in solving my own problem. Can I or can I not use the metod mentioned in this thread to reinstall Windows 10?

HP Recommended

Please ignore previous post - I confused this thread with another.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.