Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 7332ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Im not convinced the reason why my laptop randomly switches itself off is hardware based, but is indeed software related.

Ive had it back from being "repaired" and no sooner had i installedavg its witched off. Ive been installing software today and it switched off. i'm gonna leave it for a few days to see what happens.

Im baffled as to why software could cause it to switch off, any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

Could you elaborate for me how exactly it switches off ? 

• It switches off completely in a second and fast without giving any warning
    or
  • it gives a message from Windows "Shutting down..."
    or
  • it restarts with or without warning.

If it switches off completely by itself it may be overheating issue.

If it gives a message - this is a software issue.

If it restarts with a warning - software issue.

If it restarts with a Blue Screen error message - may e hardware or software issue.

Do you run Windows 10 ? HP does not officially support Windows 10 on your PC as W10 drivers are not officially released.

Looking forward to your reply.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

It switches off immediately without warning. Its not overheating, its been to 2 companiesandhad the heat sink reseated and it sits on acooling pad.

Its got tobe software based but im at a loss as to why. i cannot install avg or malwarebytes etc.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Here you can find all reasons for the PC switching off immediately and it is very likely to be hardware related issue (overheating, faulty power supply, etc...) > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000689.htm

Based on your previous posts which I just checked it seems the problem started back in December.

The fix route for this issue would include hardware check, software reinstallation [HP Recovery or Windows reinstallation] and service. As mentioned in your previous posts, so far you have done really a great job in troubleshooting the problem.

- I am not sure if you already reinstalled Windows (performed HP Recovery). Please, let me know.

- Was your PC already within HP authorized service center ? If yes, what did they do in attempt to fix the issue ? Did they tell you a root cause of the issue ?

Supported operating system is Windows 8 (8.1). Officially Win XP, Vista, 7, as well as Windows 10, are NOT supported by the product. If you did reinstall Windows (8.1) and if the problem persists, this is hardware issue and you need to check with HP support for the available support options:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-14-ac000-Notebook-PC-series/7771392/model/8189730/document/c0...

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.