Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I have my daughters old laptop the hp pavilion entertainment pc the dv4 and it wants an administrative password and I don't know what it is and she doesn't remember. How can I reset it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,

Follow this instruction: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418

Hope you don't have any important data to be saved. You might want to copy it to another PC in case you've.

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Hi,

When you enter an incorrect password 3 times, you should receive halt code.

Please post back with that code.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
I entered the wrong password several times and all it says is username or password is incorrect. Password hint is: nyen. That's all it keeps giving me
HP Recommended

Hi,

What was the installed operating system?

What is the exact model name? Can you post a picture of the screen you're seeing?

I suspect you have Local user account - password protected. If so, all I could offer is to factory reset the laptop using built in Recovery partition. Else if you've forgot Microsoft account, you could change it (forgot password option) through web and then gain access.

You could salvage all the data from the hard drive by taking it out of the HDD bay inside the laptop, then connect to another PC using USB connection.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended
Hp pavilion dv4 I don't know how to post a picture on here but there's a guest account and I can't do hardly anything on there as it says I need to be an administrator to do things. Then there's Ashley acct and it needs password and every time I put a password in it gives me password hint is nyen and then a choice to switch user everytime
HP Recommended

Unfortunately only solution I could offer is factory reset the notebook after salvaging the data as I mentioned before.

You've not answered several queries about your product.

HP Recommended
Sorry my 5 yr old wants attention all the time. The operating system is windows 7. I don't know how to reset it otherwise I would do it. I appreciate all your help! Thank you
HP Recommended
Hi,

Follow this instruction: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418

Hope you don't have any important data to be saved. You might want to copy it to another PC in case you've.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Thank you
HP Recommended

You're welcome!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.