03-21-2014 09:52 AM
I've just ordered an HP 17-e016dx laptop with a 750GB HD and windows 8. I'd like to install a 16GB SSD, install Windows on it from the recovery disk so it will boot faster, and keep my 750GB HD for storage.
Is there a slot in this model to install a SSD and keep the HD internally, too?
If so, I plan to do this the following...
1. Get recovery disks.
2. Remove HD
3. Install SSD
4. Run recovery disks to install Windows 8 on the SSD.
5. Set boot order to SSD first.
6. Wipe and reinstall the hard drive.
7. Upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1
03-24-2014 11:47 AM
I see that you are looking to install Windows 8 onto a 16GB SSD. I would recommend against that because Windows 8 32-bit requires 16GB of space and the 64-bit version requires 20GB of space according to the Windows 8 Requirements. You will only get a max of 4GB of RAM if you install the 32-bit system wasting 4GB of your RAM.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I work on behalf of HP
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)