Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am installing a new clean windows for my laptop because the old one was damaged and can not be started or repaired using the MCT tool, 

When i proceed in installing a new windows, The tool asks me for my windows type but I can not remember wether it was Home or Pro edition, How can I know the windows that was installed on my laptop edition 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Shipped with Windows 8.1 Standard 64 bit so if you upgraded that during the free period it would have upgraded you to Windows 10 Standard (Home). 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

By providing us the model number. If it is a consumer laptop most likely it is the regular (Home) edition. 

HP Recommended

15-r210ne Rev: 2337-120

HP Recommended

Shipped with Windows 8.1 Standard 64 bit so if you upgraded that during the free period it would have upgraded you to Windows 10 Standard (Home). 

HP Recommended

I finished the installation of windows 10 (home), but when i tried to activate it a message appeared " We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key ... etc"

I have been told that the key is saved on the mother board since it was shipped from HP with its origina windows 8.1, how can I get that key now? 😕

HP Recommended

Did it ever have Windows 10 installed on it and actually activated?

HP Recommended

Yes, I am sure

HP Recommended

WIndows 10 activation is different than 8.1. 8/8.1 have a Key Code embedded in the BIOS. When you connect to the internet it activates. Windows 10 is activated by Microsoft activation servers. Your laptop has a profile on file at Microsoft. It is based on the unique hardware in your computer. There is no Code to know. If your laptop ever had Windows 10 on it then it should reactivate if you install the same version of Windows 10 the first time you connect to the internet. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.