Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 24 (29,111 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is there a Digitalpersona Extension update for FF?

I have Firefox 3.5, recently checked again HP update and updated DigitalPersona to version 4, the extension however in Firefox is still 1.0.1.1 and it's not compatible with FF 3.5, trying to get it to work again...is there an update for the extension that I do not know about or a way to make it work?
Accepted Solution

Re: Is there a Digitalpersona Extension update for FF?

Hi Wondim.

You can "make" an upgrade from the extension, but remember, the official update is 100% recomended.

1.- Find the extension files. In many cases in "C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\FirefoxExt".

2.- Open the file "install.rdf" with a text editor.

3.- Modify the line 22 as show: <em:maxVersion>3.5.*</em:maxVersion>

4.- Save and exit.

5.- Zip all folder files of "C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\FirefoxExt" (not zip the foder "FirefoxExt", only the files inside the folder)

6.- Rename the zip file from "youzipfilename.zip" to "youzipfilename.xpi".

7.- Install the ".xpi" file in Firefox (to make this, drag the ".xpi" file into Firefox).

REMEMBER: This is a temporally solution. I recommend you check the site regularly for updates.

PS: Sorry for my english.

Message Edited by Danitrech on 06-30-2009 04:54 PM
View solution in context
Tutor
Message 2 of 24 (29,043 Views)

I am also waiting for the new update, but there is nothing new yet.

http://www.digitalpersona.com/index.php?id=bus_support_faq_FFupdate

Tutor
Message 3 of 24 (29,054 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Wondim.

You can "make" an upgrade from the extension, but remember, the official update is 100% recomended.

1.- Find the extension files. In many cases in "C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\FirefoxExt".

2.- Open the file "install.rdf" with a text editor.

3.- Modify the line 22 as show: <em:maxVersion>3.5.*</em:maxVersion>

4.- Save and exit.

5.- Zip all folder files of "C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\FirefoxExt" (not zip the foder "FirefoxExt", only the files inside the folder)

7.- Install the ".xpi" file in Firefox (to make this, drag the ".xpi" file into Firefox).

REMEMBER: This is a temporally solution. I recommend you check the site regularly for updates.

PS: Sorry for my english.

Message Edited by Danitrech on 06-30-2009 04:54 PM
Tutor
Message 4 of 24 (28,944 Views)

Dear Danitrech, thank you for your help. I just followed your instruction but it couldn't work for me. Firefox couldn't install the xpi file. It says it is invalid file. 

If there is any other way, I would be very glad if I get your guidance. Don't worry about the English, it is my second language too. 

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 5 of 24 (28,892 Views)

Hello, have found the solution and it's running OK!!

you must get into http://pdileepa.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/digitalpersona-4-and-firefox-3-5/

when you have done all that instructions, you must do the steps of the previous message. but only these:

when complete these steps, restart windows and enjoy it Smiley Very Happy

pd. sorry if my english isn't very well

Tutor
Message 6 of 24 (28,808 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi guys.

Many steps in the wordpress blog are unnecessary.

Before to install a "modified" plugin, plis uninstall the "older" (incompatible) and restart Firefox.

Remember to zip only the folder files in a ".zip". Changing the extension to ".xpi" are necessary to install into firefox.

Message Edited by Danitrech on 07-01-2009 01:04 PM
Tutor
Message 7 of 24 (28,648 Views)

Awesome!  I used Winrar, went to compress, used .zip format and actually changed the extension before it compressed to .xpi ,  it works perfectly in Firefox 3.5 now!
Tutor
Message 8 of 24 (28,586 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much Danitrech and manusoft, the instruction that Danitrech gave worked for me after some trial.First I tried to add to archive as zip file but never worked. The option to uninstall firefox digitalpersona addon was not even available. Then, I installed 3 digitalpersona updates and the uninstall button in the firefox digitalpersona extension was active but when I uninstalled and restarted, it was still there. So I disabled it and rightclicked on all files inside "FirefoxExt" and the I used the send to "compressed zip folder" option. And 2.6 Mb sized zip file was created, which I changed to xpi.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, DANITRECH. 

Message Edited by Wondim on 07-02-2009 07:01 AM
Tutor
Message 9 of 24 (28,473 Views)

You welcome, Wondim.

Last detail: The metod only works if is a "ZIP" format (extension .zip). The other extensions (like 7z, rar, ace) don't work.

In Windows (and as Wondim describe), exists a "send to compressed zip folder" that works perfect too.

Honor Student
Message 10 of 24 (28,444 Views)

Hey there,

Unfortunately this fix doesn't appear to work for me.  I've done everything that I was supposed to do in this thread and on the page linked earlier, and I've done them multiple times.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I use Vista SP2 64-bit and my Persona version is 4.00. 3733.  Am I basically screwed until DP puts out an official fix?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation