Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15.6" Touchscreen Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I brought a laptop that was the display model at Sam's yesterday.  I was trying to do a factory reset, but once it gets to "Installing Windows" it does a continuous loop.  It will start off at 64% then go to 100%, then restart.  When it comes back on, it is still "Installing Windows" and goes right to 64%, then 100%, then restart.  I started at 10:45pm last night (7/28/2016) and it is still saying the same thing.

What can I do to stop the cycle?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @GwenC

Thanks for trying the steps as prescribed by my colleague. The next path to resolution would be performing an HP System Recovery. You can learn more about that process here. If you have not already created recovery media, I would advise you to contact our tech support team here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ak100-Notebook-(Touch)/1028284...

The alternative to that is taking the PC back to the point of purchase for an exchange (if you're still within their return timeline). 

I hope this helps. Good luck!

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended
I'm having the exact same problem. Please let me know if you've found a solution. Thanks
HP Recommended

Hi @GwenC,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the computer looping. I will be glad to help you.

Please try the follow steps.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  7. Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I tried to rest it, whole keeping the files. The response was "cannot reset."

Now, I have chosen to rest pc, clearing everything. It's now at "Resetting this PC 2%." So, I will keep you posted once it gets to the Windows Installation.

Thank you kindy for your help, and I will check back in with you in a few hours.
HP Recommended
Corrections:

- I tried to RESET it, WHILE keeping the files.
- Now, I have chosen to RESET the PC...
HP Recommended
Were you able to get your computer to reset?
HP Recommended
Prophy88, were you able to get your PC reset?
HP Recommended
I'm responding all over the place! Geesh.

Prophy88, I was trying to ask you if you had gotten your PC reset.
HP Recommended

Hello @Tardis40,

I have gone through the process, and it is STILL looping.  I don't what that guy did at Sam's.  What other options can I try?

Thank you kindly.

HP Recommended

Hey @GwenC

Thanks for trying the steps as prescribed by my colleague. The next path to resolution would be performing an HP System Recovery. You can learn more about that process here. If you have not already created recovery media, I would advise you to contact our tech support team here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ak100-Notebook-(Touch)/1028284...

The alternative to that is taking the PC back to the point of purchase for an exchange (if you're still within their return timeline). 

I hope this helps. Good luck!

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.