Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g101
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I recently bought a new laptop(HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g101nu) and had to reinstall my windows, because I added a SSD. Anyway, after reinstalling and putting all the updates from the HP website, I updated the BIOS as well. And It suddenly started making problems. I usually leave my laptop on sleep mode, but the last few days I just come home and hear the laptop working, while stil being closed. Also I often lose my wireless connection at home and at the office I work at, and can not even get wired internet connection - it recognizes that there is a cable plugged, but no internet connection.
I had a friend, who had the first problem(self starting computer) on an Asus, an It was because of the BIOS update. So should I downgrade it(and how), or should I look somewhere else for the problem?
p.s. The right model of my laptop, given by the identifier of hp's website, is 

HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g072nw (ENERGY STAR) .
Im sorry if Im writing at the wrong place. If Im wrong, please link me where I am supposed to ask, and I will remove my message. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @derentsev,

Thanks for replying.

I understand you are still having issues with Wireless not connecting after the computer wakes up from sleep. 

Most wireless devices can be turned off by the system to save power. In some sleep scenarios, the device may wake properly when the system returns from sleep or hibernate. To prevent this from happening, adjust the power management settings for the wireless adapter

1. From the Start screen, type device manager to open the Search charm, and then select Device Manager from the search results.

2. Double-click Network Adapters to expand the list, right-click the wireless (Wi-Fi) adapter in the list, and then select Properties.

3. In the adapter properties window, click the Power Management tab.

4. Remove the check mark next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and then click OK.

5. Close the Device Manager, restart the notebook computer and attempt to reconnect to the wireless network.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you go ahead and perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing that will delete all data and set the PC back to the Original factory settings. If this option does not work. 

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp to reach phone support.  

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @derentsev,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see that you are having some issues on your HP Notebook. I'll try my best to help you with this.

I did a bit of research and found that HP does not recommend downgrading the Bios. 

Answering to sleep mode computer still working with the lid closed? You may customise the settings for your preference. 

For more assistance, please follow this link: Click here

Let me know if this helps. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello @Jeete_singh,
I will check the solution you gave  me(although I already tried some of it), and write later about it.
I just want to add that when the laptop wakes itself up, even when I open the lid, the screen is off. With the screen off, I can not check through cmd what woke the laptop. I have to manually turn it off by holding the on/off button.
Another thing is I am still facing the internet problem. I just had to restart my laptop, because I was getting 2 mb/s connection speed. After restart it is working good, but restarting evey 10 minutes is not a solution.
Should I think of reinstalling my windows ?
Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @derentsev,

Thanks for replying.

I'm glad that you pointed that out as I seem to have forgotten about it. 

I understand the internet connection keeps dropping the speed. Updating the drivers should help to resolve the issue.

Let's try the steps listed here: Click here

Answering to the question wich device wakes up from sleep, please check the settings for Network adapter in Device manager and make sure there is no checkmark next to Allow this device to wake the computer.

Next thing, I would suggest is to check the settings under Power options, Change plan settings - There are 2 options

Turn off the display - Select it None

Put the computer to sleep - select your preferred time

Next thing would be Power button and lid: Control panel - Power options - Change plan settings - Change advanced power settings - Power button and lid - select it to Do nothing.

Let me know how it goes. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again @Jeet_singh,

I wam gonna give the laptop some time, so I can see if I fixed the self-waking problem. But anytime I connect to a wireless connection, I have to run the HP Network check to fix it and its kindda annoying. It usually restarts the adapter and its good, but as you can guess, doing it every time is not a good idea.
I already tried all the steps from your previous comment, but nothing seems to work.
Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @derentsev,

Thanks for replying.

I understand you are still having issues with Wireless not connecting after the computer wakes up from sleep. 

Most wireless devices can be turned off by the system to save power. In some sleep scenarios, the device may wake properly when the system returns from sleep or hibernate. To prevent this from happening, adjust the power management settings for the wireless adapter

1. From the Start screen, type device manager to open the Search charm, and then select Device Manager from the search results.

2. Double-click Network Adapters to expand the list, right-click the wireless (Wi-Fi) adapter in the list, and then select Properties.

3. In the adapter properties window, click the Power Management tab.

4. Remove the check mark next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and then click OK.

5. Close the Device Manager, restart the notebook computer and attempt to reconnect to the wireless network.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you go ahead and perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing that will delete all data and set the PC back to the Original factory settings. If this option does not work. 

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp to reach phone support.  

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards, 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.