Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I set up my laptop this morning, downloaded security, Office etc., no problems. Went to get a drink, came back and screen is almost black with stripes running up it. It won't respond to anything. Can anyone advise me as I am currently £1000 down and not happy. This is the first HP I have owned so not familiar with the forum. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If it is an HP box there is no way the model of the laptop is not on the box. Look again. On the side of the box should be a decal with model number and specifications. I am from US but know John Lewis is a huge retailer in UK and probably offers a return for replacement or refund which I suggest you do if possible. It is not a good sign for a new laptop to start out its life like this. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The Forum is a peer to peer chat board basically where non-HP employees try to help other end users. It is not a substitute for warranty support. We would need the product number or model number of the laptop and also do you know if it is under warranty? Sounds like a significant hardware failure that is going to take intervention by a technician. 

HP Recommended

Check for hardware functionality:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

If it is out of box, then you could take it back to the store to have a check on it.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Thank you. Sorry if I came across as expecting warranty support, I didn't mean to. I'm not brilliant with computers, so just assumed it had happened to others. Thanks again 🙂

HP Recommended

And I did not mean to imply we are not willing to help but if you are under warranty we want to steer you over to the Warranty Support and if you want to try self-help we can work with you on that. Still would need to know what HP model we are dealing with. 

HP Recommended

Thank you Huffer. Believe it or not, I have no information on the product, it is not on the box, or on the setup instructions that came with it, nor is it on the laptop itself. The laptop in question is still running where I left it (the page I mean) but you can barely see it behind the smoky screen with lines going up it. It won't allow me to switch it off or do anything at all. I had hoped to access it to get the information needed, but it won't allow me to. 

HP Recommended

OK well I don't know if the battery is internal or exactly how to tell you to proceed. But we can try holding down the on-off button for 5 seconds to force it to turn off. If possible then remove battery and AC adapter and hold down power button 30 seconds. Then reattach AC power and try to turn back on. This is called a hard reset and is always the first thing you try in these cases. Not real likely to work but easy and quick to do. 

Then we can look on the bottom of the laptop and inside the battery bay to find the model number or some kind of identifying information. Did you just buy it new? Where? 

HP Recommended

Thank you Huffer, just going to try that out. The laptop was a gift from my dad, purchased new two weeks ago, only took it out of the box this morning as I was tying up my studies. The laptop was purchased through John Lewis.

HP Recommended

If it is an HP box there is no way the model of the laptop is not on the box. Look again. On the side of the box should be a decal with model number and specifications. I am from US but know John Lewis is a huge retailer in UK and probably offers a return for replacement or refund which I suggest you do if possible. It is not a good sign for a new laptop to start out its life like this. 

HP Recommended

Hi again the model number is ENVY 17r114na

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.