Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!   I've seen alot of people asking for help with this same problem, but I am still not sure what to do after reading everything. If there is anyone who can help me out with this I'd be very grateful.

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1020us Entertainment Notebook laptop... and it is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. ( It was originally Windows Vista, but changed to 7 Ultimate) I was told when I got this laptop that the drive is 'Lightscribe direct cd labeling' enabled, and the Lightscribe software is on here. I can pull up the Lightscribe control panel, but it says that no drive is detected. I have downloaded the Diagnostics check, and it says the same thing. Ive downloaded the HP updates, and the Lightscribe updates. Still wont detect it.

I dont see a Lightscribe label anywhere on the laptop, but yet when I look up this same exact laptop for sale on the net, it says it is 'Lightscribe enabled'... so I am confused. Is there some error going on that's not detecting the drive, or do I just need to buy an external drive that can do it?

If it is an error... does anyone know how to fix it?? Please help!!

Thanks so much.  :generic:

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

As per specs of your laptop which can be found here, your DVD drive does not support lightscribe. 

You can check if your DVD drive supports lightscribe or not from below link as well.

http://www.lightscribe.us/support/kb/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=67

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

Thanks a bunch for such a fast response to my question.   I will obviously need to purchase an external drive that supports Lightscribe.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I guess that answered your question ? I believe your dvd drive wasnt having LightScribe disc encoder sensor . Glad to know you got it sorted out by posting your query here. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue where Lightscribe is saying it does not detect a Lightscribe drive all of a sudden.  I know I have one, I've used it a ton of times.  I know the drive functions properly as well (just used it today).   I use Windows 7.  Can anyone help me get Lightscribe working again?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello red7261,

Your light scribe does not work occasionally.

Go into device manager and uninstall you optical drive. Restart the computer.

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for you drive.

Here is a link to device manager.

Please post your product and model number.

You can find this information by holding the FN key and pressing the ESC key.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I actually just tried this yesterday.  Uninstalling and reinstalling worked.  

HP Recommended

red7261,

You’re welcome. Glad to know that you were able to figure it out.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Tried your suggestion, uninstall device in device manager. Did NOT work. Have used this drive many time for labels.

HP Recommended

Try to run services.msc and check whether LightScribe service is enabled.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.