Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq NC6400
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Can someone tell me where is the Jumper location for resseting bios password. I tried everything, programs, cmd, cmos battery, all combination but nothing. I thing that is enabled stringent security. Plese help me. I open the notebook, now it is in part. I would love to try to reset with jumper, if that don't work, I must replace bios chip. Thank you!!
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

If stringent security was set, your only option would be to either replace the motherboard or BIOS chip.

There are no jumpers.  Only on HP business desktops are there jumpers.

If stringent security is set on an HP business desktop, then removing the jumper can't clear the P/W anyway.

You would have to replace the BIOS chip or motherboard in that case as well.

HP Recommended
Are you 100% sure? Because I saw that on some laptops (toshiba) there is a jumper for reset bios
HP Recommended

Hi,

If stringent security is enabled, HP says that the board needs to be replaced in the service manual.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01035651

page 1-4

David

HP Recommended

Hi, @Niikoolaaa :

I am 100% sure.

I've owned 2 nc6400's in the past, and our work used to have hundreds of them for corporate use (which is why I decided to buy off lease ones because I liked them so much).

I've seen them taken completely apart, and there are no jumpers of any kind on the motherboard.

HP Recommended
Okey. Thank you sou much! So I must replace a bios chip. Where is the exact location of bios on motherboard?
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I have no idea.

Most folks just replace the motherboard because replacing the BIOS chip requires expert soldering skills and who even knows where you can find unlocked BIOS chips for that old notebook anymore?

HP Recommended
I am from Serbia, bios chip cost 10euro in Pančevo.
HP Recommended
I have two more questions.
1. Can I get the SMC.bin from HP to unlock my bios?
2. Why I can't power on my nc6400 with ac adapter without insterting battery?
HP Recommended

Hi:

For question #1, you would have to contact HP technical support.  This is a peer to peer forum.  HP maintains no official presence here.

http://www8.hp.com/rs/sr/contact-hp/contact.html

Question # 2:  I am not a PC repair tech by trade or training. 

Unfortunately, I would have no idea why you can't power on the PC without the battery.

My nc6400's ran fine with the battery removed and the A/C adapter plugged in.

Is it possible the A/C adapter is faulty?  I wouldn't know what else it could be.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.