Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 4520s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello dear community 🙂

Long story short: I have a HP ProBook 4520s and yesterday I manually upgraded it (with the tool provided by MS) from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Everything went fine and smooth and it works perfectly good so far.

The problem is that some of the features of the laptop don't work anymore. Here are a few examples:

- scroll option on the touchpad

- built-in camera

- some of the FN buttons like the one for screen brightness while others (such as the volume and e-mail) work

My reasoning is that it's either missing some drivers or these functions are somehwat not compatible with the new OS (it's a 5+ year-old PC after all), but I might be wrong. I would love to hear some suggestions and opinions on this. 🙂

If anyone needs my full specs, here there are:

Operating System:  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  CPU:  Intel Core i3 330M @ 2.13GHz 61 °C  Arrandale 32nm Technology
  RAM:  4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
  Motherboard:  Hewlett-Packard 1411 (CPU 1)
  Graphics:  Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
                      512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series (HP)
  Storage:  1043GB Western Digital Black2 WDC WD1001X06X-00SJVT0 (SSD) 42 °C
  Optical Drives: DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device hp DVDRAM GT30L
  Audio:  AMD High Definition Audio Device

Thank you for reading. Any tips and comments are appreciated. 🙂

Cap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hello,

I had the same problem yesterday after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

After searching the web I found this solution (source: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01114052#SelectiveUpdate) which worked for me:

Step 4: Selectively update the imaging device driver
If a webcam driver is recognized after running the scan for new hardware in Device Manager, verify it is the latest version of the driver.
 note:
If there is an HP webcam driver on the product page for your model and OS, use that driver, otherwise use the Microsoft USB Video Device driver.
  1. In the Device Manager, under Imaging Devices, expand the list of webcam drivers, right-click the webcam driver, and then select Properties.
    Figure : Webcam Properties
    Image of the webcam properties in the Device Manager.
    Make a note of the existing name of the webcam driver (Example: HP Webcam), as it may change after the update.
  2. On the Webcam Properties window, select Update Driver....
  3. When prompted, select the option to Browse the computer for desired driver.
  4. When prompted, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer option.
  5. De-select the Show compatible hardware checkbox, select Microsoft in the Manufacturer pane, select USB Video Device in the Model pane, and then click Next to install the desired webcam driver.
  6. Allow the installation of the USB Video Device, and then click Close.
  7. View the Imaging devices option in the Device Manager to verify the presence of a webcam driver.

Hope this works for you too.

Regards,

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Scroll option:

Invoke the control panel and click on the Synaptics ClickPad icon.

Look for the scrolling feature and ensure that there is a tick mark in the box next to it.

Afterwards be sure and click on Apply and OK to save the change, if one was indeed made.

Webcam

Download and run the installer for the ArcSoft webcam in compatibility mode. 

You may find that updating the BIOS to the latest version returns the use of the Fn keys.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply 🙂

I did update the BIOS to the latest version and it did not fix the FN buttons problem (still some of the mwork, others don't).

I am actually missing drivers for the camera as the program that you mentioned did not recognize any connected, nor did other applications such as skype or the built-in one in WIndows10. I can't find anywhere drivers for any of the parts for Windows10 so I guess I have to wait until HP releases them for this particular laptop.

The scroll appears to work in most cases (Windows explorer, applications such as spotify, Skype, etc.) but it doesn't work in the internet browser (Windows Edge) as well as in the start menu and the search/Cortana feature. I'm guessing this is again driver problem and have to wait until they are released for Windows10.

Thanks for the comment.

HP Recommended

I have the same computer and I have exactly the same issue with Touchpad. I was Googling the problem and found your post. Please let me know if you found a solution and I will post if I find one. It would be great if HP support team can post solution. (I tried Windows 8.1 on this laptop before Windows 10 and everything was working fine)

Two thing to note:

1-  I can Scroll in Windows Edge using Three-Finger Flick but not the Two nor the edge scroll. But it is not pleasant to use.

2- The Camera App started to work after I disabled the "location" and enable it again. 

HP Recommended
Hello,

I had the same problem yesterday after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

After searching the web I found this solution (source: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01114052#SelectiveUpdate) which worked for me:

Step 4: Selectively update the imaging device driver
If a webcam driver is recognized after running the scan for new hardware in Device Manager, verify it is the latest version of the driver.
 note:
If there is an HP webcam driver on the product page for your model and OS, use that driver, otherwise use the Microsoft USB Video Device driver.
  1. In the Device Manager, under Imaging Devices, expand the list of webcam drivers, right-click the webcam driver, and then select Properties.
    Figure : Webcam Properties
    Image of the webcam properties in the Device Manager.
    Make a note of the existing name of the webcam driver (Example: HP Webcam), as it may change after the update.
  2. On the Webcam Properties window, select Update Driver....
  3. When prompted, select the option to Browse the computer for desired driver.
  4. When prompted, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer option.
  5. De-select the Show compatible hardware checkbox, select Microsoft in the Manufacturer pane, select USB Video Device in the Model pane, and then click Next to install the desired webcam driver.
  6. Allow the installation of the USB Video Device, and then click Close.
  7. View the Imaging devices option in the Device Manager to verify the presence of a webcam driver.

Hope this works for you too.

Regards,

HP Recommended

Hallo!I have the same problem  only with camera.

Could someone repeat the steps because i think i tried the previous answers.Maybe i did something wrong?

HP Recommended

Thanks to pach 25, this solution works fine!

HP Recommended

I am glad it worked for you 🙂

Regards,

HP Recommended

I fixed it.Due to patch 25.Thanx!!

HP Recommended

Thank you patch25!

I had the exact same webcam issue... not anymore :OpenSmile:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.