08-24-2011 12:25 PM
My HP Pavilion dv6910us CD/DVD drive has stopped working. I've gone through a few different checks and nothing has worked. Here's what I've done so far
1. Checked device manager: CD/DVD drive not listed at all
2. Checked BIOS: ATAPI CD/DVD Rom Drive IS listed in Boot order
3. Tried mulitple Microsoft Fix It exe: Program could not find device
4. Checked for Windows update: installed all updates and resarted compter, no difference
5. Check regedit: No lowwer or upper filter listed
6. Tried to reassign letter: CD/DVD not found to do so
I wanted to update drivers, but the instructions listed told me to go to the device manager to check for updates so I couldn't do so because the device is not listed. Any help would be much appreciated!
08-24-2011 12:31 PM
You could see if your drive will boot from your Recovery DVD as this should happen independently from any possible problem with Windows - ( insert the disc and then restart ). If it does, cancel the installation.
If it doesn't boot from the disc, this would probably indicate a Hardware problem with the optical drive.
****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****
Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider
09-06-2011 05:38 PM
I too am having the exact same problem.
I am certain the CD/DVD ROM drive is working perfectly well as I was able to have my recovery DVD boot correctly. I also went into the BIOS setup and the DVD drive shows up fine too.
I read in other sites there are a fair number of folks having this issue. Won't reinstalling the driver fix this issue? There aren't any drivers for the DVD drive on HP's support site.
I really need help please.
05-07-2012 12:06 PM
Hi, have the same issue. I could not boot from recovery cd, so I replaced the drive. However, the same issue. Can't boot and Windows won't recognize. What's next? Laptop works great otherwise, no issues except this annoying one. Can you help?
- HP PCs Forgot the Sign-in Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Overview of Recovering or Reinstalling the Operating System (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)