Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (2,086 Views)

NEED TO INSTALL LINUX ON CQ40-330TU

Hi..

I just owned a CQ40-330tu that came with DOS.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit on it.

Now, I want to install Linux along with Vista.

So, is it possible to do so?

If yes, then which flavour of Linux, and what about the drivers for that?

I need dual booting.

Sandeep Goyal
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (2,079 Views)

Re: NEED TO INSTALL LINUX ON CQ40-330TU

Follow this guide. Ubuntu 9.04 is currently the most popular distribution of Linux.

1) Create HP Recovery disks first

2) Do not delete the D: Recovery partition. ( that way you can always easily revert to Vista Only)

If you would really like to say thanks,you dont have to say it, just click on the thumbs up icon.

If I have helped you to resolve your issue or answered your question, please click the Options link in the post that helped you and then click on the "Mark as Accepted Solution " button
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (1,965 Views)

Re: NEED TO INSTALL LINUX ON CQ40-330TU

I've had pretty good luck with OpenSuSE 11.1. You may have to defrag it, then do a checkdisk and restart twice before booting from an installation DVD. You may also need to delete the Restore partition if it does not take. What I have done with about 10 HP PCs is to delete the everything "EXCEPT THE WINDOWS" partition. Then add an extended partition for the rest of the disk space. Add a 500 MB Swap Partition. Add the rest in to the / partition. Upon boot up you should have the default, failsafe, and windows selection in grub.

Master Rod

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation