Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15-AK113NL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got notebook with Windows 10 Home preinstalled on 128 GB SSD.

128 GB is too small, 50 GB already used by Windows. Many softwares need to be installed on C:.

I want to use the large 2 TB HD for the OS.

I tried reinstalling Windows but doesn't work, I can't choose the partition.

Am I condemned to keep the OS on the small SSD ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You will have to remove the SSD during Windows install and you understand you are giving up a lot of speed by doing this? 

Programs can be installed to the larger drive...you do not have to abandon the SSD. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You will have to remove the SSD during Windows install and you understand you are giving up a lot of speed by doing this? 

Programs can be installed to the larger drive...you do not have to abandon the SSD. 

HP Recommended

I hoped there was a simpler solution. I will not try this one. Not now. Only if I became desperate.

Yes I know I give up some performance. But not being able to install software is worse.

Many softwares pretend to be installed on C:.

Windows 10 doesn't allow to change the folder for apps downloaded from Windows Store, they go to C:.

Windows updates go to C:.

Many system files go to C:

Very bad idea not allow the user to choose where to install the OS. This is the first time in 30 years I can't decide by myself.

Thanks anyway. Maybe I'll try your solution...

Bye

HP Recommended

Just an update...

I just finished installing the first big software, Visual Studio 2015.

It needed 45 GB so I choosed to install on HD, to save the precious 70 GB left on the SSD.

About 5 GB have been put on HD, 40 GB are on C:\Program Files

This is the sad truth: a user can't always avoid to install softwares, or part of them, on C:

So now I have only 28 GB free on C:

I am a developer, working as freelance for several customers.

I need to install more than one development environment on my PC.

I bought a notebook with 2 TB HD for that.

So I really need to remove the SSD...

Thanks HP, your "simplified OS installation procedure" have been a real help.

Bye.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.